Alloy Wheels - Fitting Triumph Sprints to a GT6

Hi All,

I’m looking for some help in regard to the above subject. I have already discussed this with Pete Lewis, and thanks for the information Pete, but I am trying to find someone who has actually fitted these

I have looked at various sites in regard to the spaces required in order to get these wheels to fit. Obviously the smalller the spacer, the better it is for the wheel bearings!

I have found various suggestions ranging from 6mm to 25 mm. The Wheel inset difference is 25mm (1 inch)  but this is also the wheel depth size difference (4.5J to 5.5J) so now I am a little confused to be honest

Any advice from anyone whos fitted these wheels would be gratefully appreciated

Regards

Aidan

Hi - Information from Andy Cook on this subject (Thank you Andy) and others for anyone thinking of doing the same thing

Required equipment to fit

Nuts - 7/16" UNF thread with a 5/8" sleeve, and a 0.5" sleeve length (5/8" will possibly fit) X 16 in Steel please not alloy

Studs 7/16" UNF 43mm in length

Spacers for a PCD of 95.25 mm, 2 @ 5mm+ depth and two @ 10mm depth

Grateful if someone with first hand experience could confirm the above

Regards

Aidan

• 5 weeks later...

Hi again

I am not sure if 0.046" is important, but just to let you know I purchased some nuts from Rimmers in the end.

I have measured the sleeves with a micrometer screw gauge which gave a measurement if 0.671" diameter. 5/8" mentioned above is 0.625". I'm not sure if that makes a difference but I thought it best that I mentioned it

Regards

Aidan

Now purchased the Studs. Although advised that you can grind off after market studs to fit the triumph Chamfer, I have decided to go for the ones from Jigsaw. a bit more expensive but hopefully worth it. Rimmer no longer sell the extended 7/16 wheel studs

Aidan

• 4 weeks later...

Finally received the last piece in the kit to do this - Spacers!  I did look at universal ones that are probably OK but decided to do the job properly, so I found a company that makes them with the correct PCD called Component Engineering. (You can find them on Eb-y )  They kindly made me a set of 10 mm spacers, they already produce and sell the 3 & 5 mm ones but will do requests for other sizes. 

So Now to put it all together!

Aidan

• 1 month later...

For some reason I have failed! The Wheels I have have a thicker wheel wall section toward where they bolt to the hub, so they jamb against my calipers at the front!  Don't know if this is standard for sprints but this is the end for this project I think. Anyone wanting some really nice sprint alloys along with the correct 7/16 wheel nuts please let me know!  I will add a picture or two whan I'm not using Chrome. Whoever designed this forum may need to look at the ease of adding pictures using this browser! It ain't easy!

Aidan,

Nil nisi carborundum!

I fitted Dolly Sprints to Old Blue Vitesse.    Land Rover wheel studs, and spacer - 8mm, I think - fixed the front and an even thinner one the back.

Problems were; front, fouling the brake caillipers, but I had fitted Austin Princess 4-pots.  Rear, the radius arm.  A GT6 arm is angled more inwards so might be no probs.

John