rocker adjustments

iana

I want to check / adjust the inlet and exhaust valve settings. I believe the car has a piper cam 2397 fitted. Am I correct in think that rocker 1,3,5,7, 9 and 11 (inlet) should be gapped to 12 thou and all even rockers should be gapped to 14 thou. Ive checked the settings currently and theyre all more like 10 thou.

TRIUMPH 6 CYL 2397 @ 110.pdf

It's clear enough on that spec sheet, Iana.       Inlet 12, exhaust 14 thou.

But you are clearly  unsure as to which valves are inlet and which exhaust.  You should look at a picture of a cylinder head with its ports, as the scheme you suggest is wrong.

Image result for TR6 cylinder head

(Pic stolen at random from http://www.74tr6.com/cylinderhead.htm)

Why this difference, I don't know.   More heat and thermal expansion in exhaust valves?

John

• Thanks 1

it been set to the normal cam tappet setting which are all the 0.010"  as you have found 

the ports are on 1600/mk1 /mk2  all the same except  1600/mk1 are straight on a stepped head 3/8 studs 

johns shows the mk2 ports

i would say   1   4 5   8 9   12 are exhaust

23     56    9 10    are inet

• Thanks 1

Thanks both, I couldn’t find anywhere that clarified the valve numbers but that explanation makes it very clear and logical (and annoyingly obvious when you are stood looking at the engine!) I’ll have a re-check and adjust as necessary to make sure.