Vitesse Side and Rear Valence Mounting Screws

Peter Truman

Folks I'm about to put the rear side valences and rear valence back onto my Vitesse body, Eons ago when I stripped the old saloon body I put the bolts/screws in a jar marked Boot Fittings.

The side valances have 3 holes which mount onto the boot side at the top of the inner valence & 2 holes thro the rear valence and one at the bottom of the tail light framing in the wing, ie 6 screws in all, can anyone advise me what size screws they are? The Vitesse Spares Manual list the side valence to boot side/wing as ACME UC2704 & the side to rear valence & tail light frame as HU0703. Unfortunately I cannot find their respective specs?

In my jar I have;

7No. 1/4in (shank dia) by 7/8in long hex head self tapping screws, I think these may be the side valence to side boot mounting screws, 3 each side.

6No. 3/16in dia by 1.375in long hex head self tap screws

3No. 3/16in dia by 1in long hex head self tap screws

2No. 3/16in dia by 3/4in long hex head self tap screws and 2No. 1.375in by 3/4in plates, probably the Jack Mounting Anchor Strap fitting.

Re the rear valence to boot bottom rear flange I have all the original bolts, nuts and washers which have been rezinc plated.

Can someone advise what screws go where please.

Peter T

HU0703 is a bolt, 1/4 UNF x 3/8. These may be the four that go under the rear overrider below the rear light.

UL2704 is a 1/4" by 1/2" hexagon head ACME thread screw of which 14 are listed in the Herald Parts Catalogue for the rear valence to boot floor. 8 across the back and 3 each side?

For most, particularly the side valences to the underside of the rear wing, it's just whatever length is needed to hold securely with suitable spire clips; you don't see them once trims are in place. On my 1200 estate I used bolts and nylocs right across the entire length of the rear valence, and rivetted the overlap between the side and rear valences underneath.

The jack strap screws are quite a coarse thread, and hexagon headed.

Thanks for that Colin I thought the 1/4in by 7/8in ACME hex head thread screw were the 3 side valence (spire clipped) to side wing & remember hex head screws under the lights with spire clips, but the rear valence to boot floor were 1/4in by 1/2in long slotted flat head bolts with loose washers and nuts on the inside of the boot floor vertical flange, I have those 8 in a separate bag I'll re-plate them.

I wonder where the 1.375in long 3/16in dia ACME hex head screws went? wonder if they went in front of the seats where the front and rear body tubs are joined thro the centre outrigger?

Thanks

Peter T

14 minutes ago, Peter Truman said:

I wonder where the 1.375in long 3/16in dia ACME hex head screws went? wonder if they went in front of the seats where the front and rear body tubs are joined thro the centre outrigger?

Those are quite long with a very coarse thread, Peter, so you may be right. I have some somewhere and can supply a photo if need be.