Drain plug thread on engine block

Ziggy

here is a recent post about block drain plugs  read it and its  ..........edit  5/8unf   (  now under serious doubt )

tapped holes in the block are always parallel , in  general  it is the plugs are tapered not the holes but the block drain is a straight plug approx 5/16" deep/long  x 5/8"unf 

it does  use a fibre washer but thats 1/2"c  ????????????  now im puzzled 

I'm confused... I read the thread Pete refers to and I just happened to remove the drain plug from my early Vitesse 2-Litre engine. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is it not 1/2 inch? Did not measure TPI or if it's tapered or not. Have I missed something or are early Vitesse 2-Litre engines different? (HC-engine)

I assume 4-cylinders and 6-pots have the same threads?

drainplughalfinch.JPG

Edited by Roger
Added info

Hi Roger  you say  "is it not  not 1/2"  "  as  thats what your vernier is showing  it makes sense youre right

i only said 9/16" as thats whats on  Canley's parts lists 

i dont have one to measure , this would make some sense of the fibre washer being 1/2"  

on that basis 1/2" unf  sounds a better clue   glad you have one to measure 

triumph  parts lists all show  129077

Pete

weird  the canley site now shows 120077  so where did the HU805 pop up from its used elsewhere but at  5/8" its obviously wrong clues for the drain plug

has to be 1/2"   agree with the 1/2" x20

please ignore all other bright waffling  

Pete

20 TPI confirmed, see picture

I noticed (when reading previous thread) that my drain plug had different threads but I just assumed that some PO had ruined the threads in my block and drilled a new hole and made new threads with a new drain plug, hence my plug being different. My metric brain did not realize at first that 5/8 is a bigger hole than my own 1/2 thread which eliminate the logic... I'm still daft regarding fractions of an inch despite fiddling with these cars for 30 years. Dividing with 10, 100 or a 1000 IS a LOT easier than comparing different size of fractions 😉

20TPI_.JPG