GT6 fuel tank fittings

Bruce_the_GT6

Hi,

Could I ask for some help in trying to identify the fuel pipe union I require.  I have replace the fuel tank on my MkII with an after market replica tank (not going to comment on the agro that has caused), but anyway, I cannot use the old pipe nut / olive set up.  I’m trying to identify the thread size etc so I can order the correct part.  I know I need pipe diameter 5/16”, but not sure on the thread size required - I’m guessing 1/2” and I assume BSPT type - but tbh very confused. Any help would be appreciated before I leave this supposedly replicable car to sit for yet another year.

Thanks 

Rimmers state it's a 3/8 thread on a 5/16 pipe, but don't give the actual thread. I'm apt to be lazy in such things and just buy the listed part rather than try to source it from thread etc.

When you say you cannot use the old nut, is this due to incorrect threads, or it just won't reach? Have you tried it for fit? Just thinking out loud...

So it isn't... an exact replacement, that is. Ask what preferred methods they have for sealing the fuel outlet, given that it will take neither a flare nor an olive - if they have a recommended leak-free system then maybe it can be spliced into a 5/16 fuel line using a flexible joint, such as a short length of rubber hose. If they insist that it takes the original setup, well obviously it doesn't. They can't provide an item that's not fit for purpose, especially one so potentially dangerous as a fuel tank.

Alicool claim that it's "a direct replacement without any alterations and fits original sender unit and fuel pickup". You'll need to make contact and inform them that it doesn't measure up, then see what they'll do.

Bruce,

I have an Alicool tank and also had an issue to start with until I found the fitting was for 5/16 and not 1/4 (Mk1); a size difference they were not then aware of.  However, having then changed pipe size I had to try  a couple of different tube nuts before finding one that worked.  A long one with a pronounced neck at the end and a copper olive (Screwfix) worked fine.  Best photo I could find courtesy of Moss.

Dick

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.moss-europe.co.uk%2Ftube-nut-male-steel-5-16-unf-grp12.html&psig=AOvVaw0wkac8vYRqq2ulpOfwmkV1&ust=1593954669654000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCPCinIHWs-oCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAG