spitfire seats--height

Terryb

Can anyone help me with this query:

I am looking to buy a Triumph spitfire mk4 or 1500 but need to know how low the seats are.

Does anyone know what the height is from the ground to the top of the seat cushion?

I ask this because of a hip problem I have and unfortunately there is no Triumph Spitfires up for sale in my area (north of Newcastle) where I can have a look.  I have only once sat in a spitfire about 3 months ago which I liked but am curious to know exactly how low down I will be sitting when I do eventually find a Spitfire.

Terry,

Depending on how the suspension is set, and how worn out (or not) the seat foams are, your bottom will probably be between 10" and 11" off the ground.

The Spitfire has a surprisingly wide door, which makes it easy to get in and out of. 

Other sports cars of the era have narrower doors, which might make it harder to get in and out.

Thanks for the information Kevin, the wide doors should make a big difference.

I hunted the internet trying to get the specifications on seat height but it is not mentioned anywhere.

Now back to hunting down a decent Spitfire thats not 300 miles away!

Terry,

All of what Kevin says about the variability of seat height, and to confirm further what he says, I have a diagram from a period road test which shows the 1500 to have 5" ground clearance and either 7" or 11" seat hieght (the diagram is tiny!).

Access is much easier with the hood stowed. Being old and fat, my technique with the hood up was, both feet out, then head and arms, followed by a frantic struggle to extricate the rest of me. My wife described as like a hermit crab!! Worth all the effort and jibes!

Sports Car Supplies, Gateshead

Chic Doig, Fife

Mc Fadden Classic Sports Cars, Lanarkshire

may have some leads (no affiliation) but you'll pay retail.

Thanks Ian,

Unfortunately I have problems with my right hip due to 30 odd years of martial arts and is the only reservation I have for buying a Spitfire. Ideally it would be great to try getting in and out of the car a few times but unfortunately I don't know anyone who has a spitfire and there is none locally in the North east (Blyth-Whitley Bay area)

I did try one which was for sale at a local garage about 3 months ago but only got in once (didn't want to get out!)

Terry,

If getting in and out is difficult and requires that you grab various bits of the car to help get in and out, then I'd suggest that you look at a MKIV or 1500 spit, and not one of the earlier ones.

The MKIV and 1500 have the windscreen frame integrated into the front scuttle as a complete assembly, so grabbing the screen frame to help would not be a problem.

The MK3, and earlier, have a detachable windscreen frame, and it is possible to damage the frame mounts if you put too much weight through the frame if you grabbed it to help get in and out. 

Have you considered a GT6 ?

I really like the mk4 or 1500 Spitfires and more or less decided to go for that.

I am looking at hip replacement  in the future and low cars are not recommended however I am not very tall anyway and I know people adapt there ways of getting in and out of cars to suit.  I wondered if any other spitfire owners have had hip replacement and own this car? 

• 1 month later...

I have a Spitfire (sort of!) and live in Whitley Bay and work in Blyth. You are welcome to try it but having a bad back, getting in and out is a struggle for me! I would suggest a Vitesse could be a better buy! It is about to go for some remedial work but is around at present.