Questions for Insurance - GT6 Sports Exhaust etc

Jim-GT6

Hi all,

Just bought my first Triumph, and insured through Lancaster with agreed valuation. In the form, I noted a few things, and as a result, they've come back to me asking for some clarifications. They've asked me four questions, and I'm trying to work out the answers! You want to be wrong on these forms.

The car came with a pretty decent history folder, and I've been thumbing through it to see. The first question is about the exhaust:

"Following the return of your agreed valuation we have been notified by our independent valuation department that you have declared the vehicle has had a stainless-steel exhaust fitted, uprated suspension, a respray and an engine rebuild.

Please can you confirm the following:

• • If the stainless-steel exhaust increases the BHP? If so what is the new BHP for the vehicle?
  • • If the suspension has been raised or lowered? If so, how much by?
  • • If the respray used standard or non-standard paint? Also was the vehicle sprayed the original colour?
  • • If the engine rebuild had used like for like replacement parts with the original specification for your vehicle or different to the original specification and if this has also changed the CC of your engine form the original CC of your vehicle?"

___

I checked in the receipts, and the only exhaust I can find is from Rimmer Bros. 2 parts: TT5409 S/S REAR SIL SPORT (2PC), TT5416 S/S FRONT PIPE SPORTS, S/S 'Y' PIECE SPORTS. This doesn't quite match what I see on the car though (see photo) ... Does this exhaust increase BHP, and does the one in the photo look like you'd expect? How can I found out more?

I don't think the suspension has been raised or lowered ... can anybody tell? (see photo) 

I think the paint is standard and the original colour. It's not written on the plate under the bonnet. Is this a standard colour? It was certainly white in 2002 according to the MOT in the file.

For the rebuild, I know that it was converted to unleaded, electronic ignition (so these are different to original spec.), but it has the original Strombergs, and no mention of changing the CC (that I can find). 

Can anybody help me with some info so I can be confident about the answers to these questions?

IMG_8458.jpeg

IMG_8365.jpeg

Hi Jim, welcome to the forum, and I'll correct you on one thing straightaway - you want to be RIGHT on those forms, but it's not a matter for any worry or panic.

Well, two questions are fairly simple - as far as you're concerned (that's a phrase I'll use a lot!) the engine was rebuilt using the same 2.0 litre bits so is the same size. Small things like electronic ignition or unleaded conversions don't really make any difference.

The paint as far as you know is standard, should be code 19 Triumph White and that's that. I doubt if it's been sprayed in anything ultra expensive or these modern reflective or colour-changing paintjobs.

Now: suspension lowering - if you said it's uprated, what bits have been changed? It doesn't look to be drastically lowered, from the photos, so as far as you're concerned it's practically standard - again, modern shocks and polybushes etc don't make any difference; only lowered springs or lowering blocks that may affect the ride.

Similarly with the stainless exhaust - unless it's a wider bore than original, or a sporty wheelbarrow or straight-through design - which yours doesn't look to be - then it's standard, certainly the back box looks close to the original version and I can't really see it affecting the BHP. The receipt may be a red herring but if you're still worried, a good under-car photo will let us work out what you have underneath.

Unless things are drastically altered - uprated head or camshaft, radically lowered suspension, massively loud exhaust or the like, the car is basically standard and modern replacement parts aren't an upgrade that should worry the Insurance.

I know a lot of owners say nothing about alterations, which is fine until you need to make a claim or have a serious accident, so you're right to be cautious and honest.

i would use a alternative insurance co 

ive valued many cars with many modifications   most have been  with  P james and never have any notes on modifications ever been querried 

yes it may add small changes to premiums the overall value outweighs the broker pricing not the upgrades

list them is a must but someone getting a bit picky here 

Pete

4 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Hi Jim, welcome to the forum, and I'll correct you on one thing straightaway - you want to be RIGHT on those forms, but it's not a matter for any worry or panic.

Well, two questions are fairly simple - as far as you're concerned (that's a phrase I'll use a lot!) the engine was rebuilt using the same 2.0 litre bits so is the same size. Small things like electronic ignition or unleaded conversions don't really make any difference.

The paint as far as you know is standard, should be code 19 Triumph White and that's that. I doubt if it's been sprayed in anything ultra expensive or these modern reflective or colour-changing paintjobs.

Now: suspension lowering - if you said it's uprated, what bits have been changed? It doesn't look to be drastically lowered, from the photos, so as far as you're concerned it's practically standard - again, modern shocks and polybushes etc don't make any difference; only lowered springs or lowering blocks that may affect the ride.

Similarly with the stainless exhaust - unless it's a wider bore than original, or a sporty wheelbarrow or straight-through design - which yours doesn't look to be - then it's standard, certainly the back box looks close to the original version and I can't really see it affecting the BHP. The receipt may be a red herring but if you're still worried, a good under-car photo will let us work out what you have underneath.

Unless things are drastically altered - uprated head or camshaft, radically lowered suspension, massively loud exhaust or the like, the car is basically standard and modern replacement parts aren't an upgrade that should worry the Insurance.

I know a lot of owners say nothing about alterations, which is fine until you need to make a claim or have a serious accident, so you're right to be cautious and honest.

Colin. Phenomenal. I feel much happier answering these questions with confidence. Really appreciate your words on this!