Valencia blue

Hi all,

my Spitfire Mk3 (1968) project was painted several times in its life in different colours. The original colour was Valencia blue which can be identified from the plate (code 66) and it can still be seen inside the rear wings (well what's left of it). Now, I've bought myself a can of valencia blue 66 at Triumfest last year (shame, I had to work this year). and I tried it on a small panel. The result is a very very dark blue when compared to the original colour inside the wing (almost like Royal blue) and it looks considerably darker than any Valencia blue Triumph that is pictured on the web or in books. I once owned a 13/60 that originally was Valencia blue too and I don't remember it being so dark too.  Any ideas?

Cheers Joachim

My Mk3 is Valencia Blue.

I bought some from the club shop, it was a very good match to what was left inside wings etc. Then I had a local car paint company mix me some more and that came out noticeably more blue. The tints for the mix came from their computer listing for Valencia Blue.

I ought to have taken it back, at some point I intend to get more from the club and respray wrong shade.

The correct shade - difficult to describe in words - but is a mid blue with a slight greeny tinge.

Thank you for your input so far (especially for the tr-register link). I'll try to take some photographs tomorrow. It's not that I dislike the darkness of the paint the club supplied but it does surprise me. Otherwise I've painted my GT6 with paint from the club shop and I trust that their colour match is perfect. I'm just wondering. Unfortunately there aren't a lot of Valencia blue Triumphs around here in Germany to compare the colour shades in the flesh.

Cheers Joachim

Here we have: on the left is the old inner wing Valencia blue - on top is the number plate light plinth sprayed in Valencia blue 22 supplied by the club (cellulose) - and on the right is Valencia blue 22 as supplied by a German paint dealer here in Germany (acrylic, quick brush over an old panel, still wet).

Cheers Joachim

post-49-0-42741100-1436968724_thumb.jpg

The colour in the Spitfire colours on the TR link, is the nearest to the club paint. The Stanley screwdrive is more like the paint mixed locally.

Which is right?

I guess that the only practical answer is to buy sufficient in one go.

I spoke to the local supplier and he says he can make a better match if he has a sample to work from.

There are no Valencia blue Stanley screwdrivers here in Germany, but I agree that it's best to have the whole car in one paint ideally from one mix. Today I've painted the chassis with the paint from the dealer nearby and I like it. It comes very close to what I remember being Valencia blue and what I want the car to look like. Cheers to all.