2000 quill shaft joint leak

some while back i did replace the pinion oil seal on my M2 2000 saloon   not a job i relish the Mk2 has the solid rear cover and determined i was not going down the

route of dropping the whole subframe and suspension we after a fight did drop the unot out leaving the quill shaft in place

i used a leather seal as this seems to withstand refitting abuse better 

thiswas not the case and a continuos drip from the quill shaft flange was noted by the MOT man so a fix was under way

no Im not taking the whole caboodle out again  the quill bearing is a double  integral sealed unit so if oil comes through there better man than Gunger Dinn

so the simple is undo the 4 bolts on the quill housing and add some sealer , that was in need of some effort the units are well fixed in place but with the scissor jack up 

between the crossmember and the diff drive shaft this prised apart a 3mm gap to add some of my beloved loctite 574 and re tighten the 4 bolts

and after a good pasting yesturday itsnas dry as a bone   ...no more rust prevention 

some purists would say its a bodge ,theres a good few myths about oil washing out quill bearings  which is no different to the oiling of most bearings 

if the quill has failed its more likely lack of not too much lube 

and with sealed bearings im more than happy to take this fix as ...GOOD

and you cant use the mk1 /stag or  /estate as the mk2 saloon is the nightmare of the bunch you dont have a removable rear support  and a wheel well to restrict removal

Pete

On 01/06/2021 at 11:43, Pete Lewis said:

some while back i did replace the pinion oil seal on my M2 2000 saloon   not a job i relish the Mk2 has the solid rear cover and determined i was not going down the

route of dropping the whole subframe and suspension we after a fight did drop the unot out leaving the quill shaft in place

i used a leather seal as this seems to withstand refitting abuse better 

thiswas not the case and a continuos drip from the quill shaft flange was noted by the MOT man so a fix was under way

no Im not taking the whole caboodle out again  the quill bearing is a double  integral sealed unit so if oil comes through there better man than Gunger Dinn

so the simple is undo the 4 bolts on the quill housing and add some sealer , that was in need of some effort the units are well fixed in place but with the scissor jack up 

between the crossmember and the diff drive shaft this prised apart a 3mm gap to add some of my beloved loctite 574 and re tighten the 4 bolts

and after a good pasting yesturday itsnas dry as a bone   ...no more rust prevention 

some purists would say its a bodge ,theres a good few myths about oil washing out quill bearings  which is no different to the oiling of most bearings 

if the quill has failed its more likely lack of not too much lube 

and with sealed bearings im more than happy to take this fix as ...GOOD

and you cant use the mk1 /stag or  /estate as the mk2 saloon is the nightmare of the bunch you dont have a removable rear support  and a wheel well to restrict removal

Pete

Well done pete, next time you can get an estate,  you could practice on mine if you like.