Powerspark ignition

Gadgetman

Rich, if it says LUCAS on the vacuum unit then it is a Lucas dizzy as no elements of the Lucas unit are compatible with the DELCO distributor.

Most probably a 22d6 which was factory fit for the Vitesse Mk2 although I think the 2.5 S may have used a 25d6, however most service parts are common between the 22 and 26 units.

Steve

They are stamped in the alloy base you may need to remove it to find and read them

there will be a type eg 22D6

one will be a date code like your 1188B wich is november 88 or week 11 1988

that style of dste code some have the unit made number 768 th made that week

the numbers on the vac unit are its vacuum start , finish and advance settings

the spec number is more like 4186B this is the lucas drawing spec thatmay be the 1188B then the B is

the spec suffix for a modification to the spec.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to close off on my original post in this thread. So the Strombergs are fully rebuilt with new everything, balanced and tuned and the Vitesse started and ran quite nicely.

I checked the timing and found it was pretty good at 13deg BTDC on number one so decided it was time for the last part of my ignition upgrade. Time to ditch the points in favour of a Lumenition Optronic PMA50 set up.

First move was to fit the "Power Unit" to the bulkhead above and behind the battery Easier said than done, that's one tough piece of metal, drilling the two holes was easy, but getting the self tappers tightened quite another. Snap On Tee handle screwdriver to the rescue a little more sweat the odd cuss word and bingo securely mounted with earth lead in place. 

As it was so close at hand I took the power feed from a free terminal on the switched fuse of the fuse box which allowed me to shorten the wire (I hate long wires spooled up and laying around) and fit a standard "Lucar" spade connector.

Next task was the coil driver connection, with the MSD disconnected from the distributor and connected this to the Lumenition signal wire. I kept the Lucar female spade terminals on both wires and joined them using a male/male adaptor provided in the Lumenition kit. I then hid all the excess wires and the connection inside a corrugated plastic conduit as this time I wanted to keep both wires at their full length,

Final task was to remove the points, condenser and earth wires from the distributor moving plate and replace them with the Lumenition Optronic switch unit and six bladed chopper. I have to say that this was much easier than the older Lumenition kits I have fitted in the past with no need to modify the plate or fit a carrier plate to install the switch and all told it took less than ten minutes to complete, including fitting the three wires into the snap connector and connecting to the power module.

The engine fired up first turn and a quick check showed that the timing was a little more advanced than on the points but only by a few degrees which was soon adjusted leading to a slightly slower but steady idle speed.

So all good, I now have an electronically triggered, high energy, multiple spark ignition system with the ability to replace or bypass any of the elements in the event of a failure. Plus it looks good under the bonnet.