Spitfire 1500 window seal question

DougieM

Hi, first post having recently acquired a Spitfire 1500 needing some TLC. My first objective is to make it ‘watertight’  and have replaced the outer window seals. However! There is a gap at the rear end of the seal as the seal isn’t long enough to reach the end of the door/window and I’m pretty sure that is letting in a lot of water but in theory that should stay inside the door and drain out Is there something missing like an end cap? I don’t see anything in any parts diagrams.
  Also, where the water enters the car is at exactly the same spot on each side, I.e on the top of the inner sill just back from the midpoint of the sill. I think I’ll have to sit in the car when it’s raining to see if it’s dripping onto there or running down the door seal.

any help would be fantastic. Thanks.

water entry . well where do you start  

there should be a plastic shower curtain attached to the bottom of the glass to deflect water away from the door card

water can run around the door seal and exit at any panel/flange joggle above the sill 

you wont make a spitty water tight its design age of the hood and who made it all contribite to  it can be very leaky 

do make sure the drain holes in the base of the door carcass are clear 

doors are designed to take in water and let it out  ...but outside not to the inside  

tape up all the door carcass appertures , there is proper sealed stuff for this its expensive ...try poly sheet and gaffer tape 

Pete

Cheers Pete. The door cards are out and ready for the bin. The curtains were crumpled up behind both cards. I have the curtain taped on one door and left it off the other whilst I investigate, I’ll replace curtains and door cards once I’m happy. There was a lump of bitumen in the bottom of one of the doors which allowed water to gather and caused the door to rust from inside out, I’ll fill that for now as I have more pressing things to haemorrhage money into. Onwards and upwards.

Doug, my first instinct was that the seals which were on the car were the wrong ones, they were brick hard and split anyway but the new ones from Rimmer are exactly the same size.  Also, as far as I can see it’s the same part number for all models, ie, 612792. Pic below of what I’m talking about. 

08A1FCC0-E4F2-432D-8738-744BF3259C82.jpeg

• Thanks 1

the shower cutain is a simple dangling sheet pf poly trapped under the bottom of the glass roller channel , any means of attaching a new one would help 

dont use a bin liner they decompose , clear poly sheet is best make as big as possible , and long as possible it just folds up in the door as the glass is dropped 

its not hi tech.  and keeps any rain form dripping on the door cards  etc

Pete