Steering wheel movement

cliff.b

That looks to me like the upper bush; different to my own Triumphs but looks easier to get at. You'll need slight movement, enough to let the column turn, but not excessive ie wobbling about over bumps. I've no idea how easy they are to change, certainly easier than the earlier cars, but they're only about £2 to buy.

bush.jpg.45c21eaed5dbaa2ad60ce519a943f567.jpg

20 minutes ago, johny said:

That does look easier to do than the older design!

I think only the later 1500s are like this. Just pulled out so I guess (hope) new one will push in easily.

Also found movement in the outer column as well, at the upper mounting bracket. Was tight but not clamping sufficiently so added a little packing in the v slots and no detectable movement now.

Im sure its the second time in my Vitesse but theres the quality of pattern parts to consider plus in that model the bushes have an especially hard life because of the combination of heavy steering and large steering wheel meaning that a lot of side force is applied...

19 minutes ago, johny said:

Im sure its the second time in my Vitesse but theres the quality of pattern parts to consider plus in that model the bushes have an especially hard life because of the combination of heavy steering and large steering wheel meaning that a lot of side force is applied...

Oh well, at least it's a cheap fix 👍