Recommend an old-school Body Shop near Manchester?

1969Mk3Spitfire

Just musing as my car is in hibernation for winter.

Next year, I’d really like to improve the door gaps. I’m a keen follower of the adage “first, do no harm” so I’m not overly keen on a DIY attempt, at least not without experienced help.

Can anyone recommend an old-school Body Shop, preferably within a reasonable radius around Greater Manchester?

Thanks in advance.

Sir, ( do we call you '69?)

Triumphs have highly adjustable doors, as the hinges can be moved on the A-post and on the door , as are the striker plates on the B-post.    While you're not using the car through the winter is ideal to take time to do the adjusting!

Wooden wedges to support the door when the hinges are loosened will not damage the paint, and can allow for varying panel gaps while you struggle for a better fit.   

If it turns out that you have a twisted door, so that it fits in one corner but not in another, then again use a wooden block in the jamb to twist it back again.

Give it a go, and good luck!

John

Thanks for the “encouragement” to give it a go, John.

I reckon that someone with hard earned experience already in the bank would be able to wave a magic wand and fairly easily improve the fit. I, on the other hand, would undoubtedly struggle. I agree that it makes a worthy winter project but my garage isn’t wide enough to let me play with the doors.

I’d only consider doing it with help from someone with experience, otherwise, I remain convinced that it would end in tears.

David

If, like mine, the sills weren't fitted properly with the body correctly supported and braced (this was 30years ago, before this forum, when I knew nothing and neither did the professional mechanic who did the work), you will never get good shut lines by simple adjustment as the bottom rear of the door will stick out from the body tub. The problem is well documented on here (try the search function). It requires the cutting of the tub and letting in fresh steel to sort it unfortunately not a simple job. If I can find a link I will add to this post.

Thanks, @Badwolfalbeit quiet a depressing read. I suspect that you may be right, although I do still believe that it could be improved without resorting to major works. My car had a body-off resto prior to my buying it. The paintwork is very good, perhaps less so the metalwork 😢

Does anyone know the B to B dimension for a Mk 3 Spitfire and precisely where are the dimensions taken from?

Thanks again @Badwolffor taking the time to respond.

I’ll measure my tub………anyone know the new build spec dimension (and precisely where it’s measured)?

If it has sagged, does this imply that a hard top would not (easily) fit? I don’t as yet have one but it’s something that I would like to acquire and fit.