Timing Chain Tensioner

Richard B

Just in the process of installing a new camshaft into my 1360 Estate. When I got inside the cover, found the tensioner looking like this. It looks like someone has been at it with a tin opener.

My issue is that the car only went back on the road in spring 2021 having had a complete engine rebuild - which I did so obviously can't be anything wrong with the build. Can't be precise about the actual miles it has done as the speedo was playing up. Longest drive was to Malvern and back so I'd say 1k miles is all it has done.

Anybody else had this kind of premature wear? Do I just put it down to a poor quality part, in which case any suggestions where I can buy something decent that might last a complete year, or maybe more if I'm lucky?

Cheers

20220106_213735.jpg

20220106_213749.jpg

Exactly the same thing happens to me. I replaced it with a better quality one. I think there is a batch of these that are both too long (too much tension on chain) and made out of poor quality metal.  I think I sourced an OE quality item that was better. Recommend that you do the same. The replacement wasn’t shiny, but was more black in colour as I recall.  

3C866853-0F30-4793-AC02-8CB38043E863.jpeg

That tensioner doesn't look the right shape to me - not enough loop for the retaining pin and too much curvature on the main (hence probably too much tension). That would point to it being a poor quality part, but you should also check the chain, because they're supposed to have nice smooth links but some of them are pressed with sharp corners like a chainsaw.

Thanks for the comments.

Not sure where I got the tensioner and chain from. Found a receipt but also found another one in the garage after a rummage so can't pin the duff part on anyone in particular. The other one I've found looks a much better job so I'll fit that.

Good point about the location of the swarf. Was hoping to get away without dropping the sump but better safe.......

On a vaguely related subject, has anyone else had trouble with the C-plate that locates the camshaft to the front plate? It kind of grips the camshaft when the screws are tightened. It was fine with the old camshaft but the groove in the new one is a few thou thinner. I remember this being an issue last time I did open heart surgery on my Spitfire engine as well and ended up botching it with some shims as the problem appeared to be that the C-plate tips a bit when tightened.

For this engine, I'm thinking of getting the C-Plate ground down a bit. Is this a common problem?