Stuck woodruff key

Josef

Any suggestions on removing the overdrive oil pump drive Woodruff key I have jammed in my gearbox mainshaft. I used a puller to get the bearing over it (with no intention of reusing the bearing!) but obviously that’s not the best plan when it comes to the gears. The mainshaft itself I am sure is scrap anyway unfortunately (unless the pictured wear is somehow repairable!?), so I was considering just wrapping the gearset up to protect it from swarf and taking a file to the key. Any reason that might be a terrible plan?

12855DE9-004D-416C-8DC8-2B95382112A5.jpeg

It's certainly possible to repair that mainshaft tip - either by machining down and sleeving or by building up with spray metal, machining and re-hardening. However, neither option is cheap. It depends whether new shafts are available (and any good) as to whether it's worth it.

As to the reluctant key - any chance of a photo of it? It may be possible to carefully grind a slot along the middle of it (with a dremel size grinding disc) to weaken it enough that it just falls out. Wrapping the gears up to keep them clean in the process is definitely worth it! But with care, I'd expect you should be able to salvage the shaft without any further damage.

generally (im sure you tried this) but tap one end the opposite should rise enough to get a grip

when its out just dont forget to refit it   ive found a few free cams with the key missing over the years 

try some local heat the shaft will expand more then the slot which might free the sod up a little 

Pete

28 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

generally (im sure you tried this) but tap one end the opposite should rise enough to get a grip

when its out just dont forget to refit it   ive found a few free cams with the key missing over the years 

try some local heat the shaft will expand more then the slot which might free the sod up a little 

Pete

Oh, I was about to say yes I had given that a go, but no I hadn’t thought about in effect trying to make it rotate. Just been out fitting a new floodlight so back to the garage for another try. Fingers crossed!