Thinking About Alternatives to Rechroming

DVD3500

Thanks

Yeah those places exist here too but I have not found any long term reviews of it. Many claim it can't hold up because it is so thin but I figure that is a matter of application...?

From what I a have seen here the process is only a 100 or 200 of your favorite currency less than  rechroming (usually sent off to Hungary or Poland where such things can still be done...) so I kind of don't see the point...

There is a place that does vinyl wrap just up the road so maybe I will ask them for some scraps to see how that looks...

On 05/02/2022 at 15:41, Bordfunker said:

These guys were featured on the last series of Wheeler Dealers.

https://invictaspraychrome.co.uk/

It’s a paint process, but leaves a perfectly chromed finish.

May not be as long lasting as decent chrome, but has the same resilience as normal paint.

Was trying to remember what that one was called and it actually has some advantages over chrome.  Yes if you have good, solid bumpers that just need rechroming then that will be better but if, as after 40 years is quite likely you instead have slightly dented ones that have rusted from the back rechroming means quite a lot of expsneive metal repairs before they can be rechromed.  With the paint you can just treat the rust and hide some of the more minor sins with a skim of body filler before spraying.  I ended up going with stainless bumpers because I couldn't get my hands on any originals that were worth rechromoing without working out more expensive than stainless.