Thinking About Alternatives to Rechroming

DVD3500

I am waiting for work to continue on my Spitfire(s) so my mind is turning to things I can attempt to move it along.

At this point this is simply a thought exercise and I am in no rush to attempt any of this until the weather warms up but I figured I would ask around for some feedback and possibly (ideally) experience.

I am lucky in that I bought 2 Spitfires and both had a full set of bumpers and trim. So if any of my attempts fark things up beyond belief I have a back up!

Rechroming here in Germany has become stupidly expensive and difficult.

I know stainless steel bumpers are available and that is likely the best route but they are expensive as well. Also there are lots of shiny bits like the door handles and license plate lights that are not available in new(er) materials at a decent (=cheap) price.

The goal would be:

1.      Get the shiny bits as shiny as possible

2.      Use a method or product that keeps that shine as long as possible AKA something to stop the rust

3.      Be as inexpensive as possible

Here is my thought process and please let me know if any of my statements or assumptions are wrong:

1.      The pitting whether it be pimples (door handles/window cranks) or the spots on the bumpers is down to oxidation.

2.      The oxidation, much like a pimple on your adolescent face, goes deeper and wider than what you see on the surface.

3.      Any process or product has to applied to a smooth, oxidation-free surface in order for it to look its best for the longest amount of time.

Did I forget anything?

Regardless of the method (including rechroming) my understanding (and please correct me if I am wrong) is that the surface has to ideally go back to bare metal.

The chrome plating is really not much different than a coat of paint except that you likely need a strong acid to get it off.

Can it be removed through friction though (given enough time…) or does it have to be chemical?

Would it suffice to simply rub it down with ever finer sand paper and then dip it in rust converter?

Maybe cover it in a fine filler to get it smooth for painting/wrapping/silvering  (see below)?

Here are alternatives I am thinking about:

1.      Just Polish it: (Never Dull, Autosol etc.)
Pros: Least expensive. Some like “patina”.
Cons: Never as shiny as new. It really doesn’t stop the rust (correct?). Has to be reapplied (yearly?), probably won’t really make door handles/window cranks look better (?)

2.      Painting (any color):
Pro: relatively easy, some paints claim to be able to stick to and/inhibit rust, relatively cheap, can be redone if I fark it up too much
Cons: Never ever looks shiny enough (assumption), may not be durable enough, requires a really smooth surface to look halfway decent (assuming high gloss paint, example: Door handle pimpling)

3.      Vinyl wrap:
Pro: The guys on the interweb make it look easy! (I doubt it really is), cheaper than “silvering” or chrome, relatively high shine, can be theoretically redone if I fark it up…
Cons: It more expensive than paint, given the odd shape of the bumper/trim might catch or tear, requires a smooth surface to look really good (see paint)

4.      “Silvering” This method has been shown on a lot of shows like Wheeler Dealers. Essentially the same silver nitrate used in mirrors is sprayed on the object and then coated in clear coat. (oversimplified)
Pro: Somewhat cheaper than chroming or stainless steel. Seems to be common place (it is used on wheels/rims), can be applied to any surface including plastic
Cons:  I have yet to find any long term use cases of it. Requires a lot of prep. Cannot be done at home (safely)

I can’t believe I am the first guy to try any of this so I am hoping someone can put me out of my misery and tell me what fool I am!

What say you?

You can't rub the chrome off as you will get an undulating surface that will need professional polishing before re-plating.

The corrosion pits need to be pickled clean (acid),

Then filled with Copper and polished back.

Then Copper plated & Polished.

Then Nickel plated and polished and finally Chrome.

Why not send them to the UK for Chrome plating.

Roger

For smaller items there’s also a DIY option for example this https://www.gaterosplating.co.uk/plating-kits?product_id=293 I’ve had good results with their zinc plating kits. It’s also possible to use brush plating to touch up larger items such as bumpers. Can’t see any brush plating kits in stock with Gateros at the moment though. Both DIY options will likely not give good results if there’s any pitting though. Also, hazardous chemicals may present shipping difficulties. 

Simplest alternative is to paint it all black! Matter of opinion on how good that looks of course :) Suits yellow cars rather well IMO (and see Mathew’s Spitfire resto thread for an example of that)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RogerH said:

You can't rub the chrome off as you will get an undulating surface that will need professional polishing before re-plating.

The corrosion pits need to be pickled clean (acid),

Then filled with Copper and polished back.

Then Copper plated & Polished.

Then Nickel plated and polished and finally Chrome.

Why not send them to the UK for Chrome plating.

Roger

Roger, I think rechroming costs are not dissimilar to buying the new stainless bumpers.

Then there is the issue that rechromers have a habit of taking far longer to carry out the job thean they quote, and manage to lose stuff. I jest not. About half of people I know who have had chroming done have had parts lost.

What Clive said... pre-Brexit I sent a gearbox to the UK for 50€.

Given the length of a bumper I doubt I could get it there below 100€.

Then there is all the added paperwork these days to prove country of origin. I had to pay 8.50€ for a 10 GBP DVD because of VAT and handling charges.

I want to ultimately get the stainless steel bumpers as I think they look fine and are lighter and easier to handle if they get scratched but they run about 1200€ to 1500€ for a set.

I also want to try to get the door handles and window cranks up to snuff...

I will look at the plating process Josef posted. I might find an alternative here in the EU.

They car will be cobalt blue, a slightly darker less purpley version of Royal Blue so I am thinking black would look a but "meh"...

I am curious about the wrap but am trying to figure out how to stop the rust underneath and getting it smooth, likely without removing the plating...

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I have photos from a long-ago Stafford of a GT6 Mk3 with black bumpers; I'll see if I can dig them out. Back before digital days. It looked very well.

Would that have been quite modified? 

Had a turbo/nitrous engine, later a cosworth? A lovely car, beautifully engineered. 

But yes, black bumpers work well, much better than trying to imitate chrome.

For stainless bumpers you could take your summer holidays to the UK next year, buy/fit them while here to save postage.  Then it's a question of how old and forgetfull you're getting wether you remember to declare them at customs...🤫

5 minutes ago, clive said:

Yes. The chrome needs scuffing up, pits could be filled with acrylic stopper.

Google has lots of primer suggestions....

I have been on the Internet too long to trust google over your experience... 🙂

5 minutes ago, Mjit said:

For stainless bumpers you could take your summer holidays to the UK next year, buy/fit them while here to save postage.  Then it's a question of how old and forgetfull you're getting wether you remember to declare them at customs...🤫

Ahh.. only rub there is both cars are in bits and will remain so for quite some time... 🙂

That is Colin Geers GT6, the one I thought it may have been. I really like it, built to be mechanically bombproof. (before he fitted alien running gear, I understand he carried a spare diff!)

Last saw it about 15 years ago, he was heading down the A23, and I was a passenger in a Noble, we overtook him....

Not heard of him since, or indeed for some years before. Andy Cook may know more.

20 hours ago, DVD3500 said:

Ahh.. only rub there is both cars are in bits and will remain so for quite some time... 🙂

So you have a choice:

1. The cars aren't drivable so you don't need bumpers yet, and when they are you can do a tour.
  2. Sounds like you need to buy another, drivable Spitfire so you can collect the bumpers then... 😈

19 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

That photo was about 1995, the car was a regular over there for years, but I haven't seen it recently. 

I've just realised that's almost 30 years ago. Yikes! :(

1995, I remember that. Daughter was a few months old, I had borrowed my parents car (Carlton) and caravan. And it rained heavily on the Saturday, so much so we had about 20 people stuffed in the awning while Pete and I bbq'd all the food under an umbrella. 

Then a radiator hose blew on the car on the way home, wasted a couple of hours. Still, it was a comfy weekend!

46 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

we have a local spitty with satin chrome sprayed bumpers that have worn well and look very good 

Pete

What color is it?

1 hour ago, Mjit said:

So you have a choice:

1. The cars aren't drivable so you don't need bumpers yet, and when they are you can do a tour.
  2. Sounds like you need to buy another, drivable Spitfire so you can collect the bumpers then... 😈

Like I said in the first post,... mostly just a thought exercise ... I do have other modes of transportation though... just they aren't as fun!

Having said that, there is a small chance I may be in England for personal business.... if I drive there with a big enough car...