Triumph Spitfire Window handle

Black Cat

Hi,

Can’t remember if when I removed the window handles at the start of my rebuild if there was a circlip fitted to retain the locking pin in the window handle, firstly are they necessary and secondly if they are which I suspect they are, can you use any off the shelf ones as they don’t seem to be available from the major suppliers and if you can use another type, is there a specific one which is suitable as there are a few available on eBay for other car makes?

Also, the plastic escutcheon which sits against the door card, should the flat side be against the door or against the handle?

And lastly, dose the small end of the spring go against the door card or is it the large end?

Many thanks

Easy bits first: the plastic escutcheon goes flat against the door, the rounder end being more 'aesthetic' to look at.

The spring widens out towards the door cards to spread the weight and not poke through it so narrow end towards the interior.

The locking pin should just push through and is held in place by the plastic escutcheon which drops down / springs out around it, so that it can't move in either direction; if you need one just cut the end off a suitable nail that fits inside the diameter of the plastic ring but is wide enough to hold both sides of the handle in place in the spindle.

Thanks Colin, got one thing the wrong way round at the moment but no harm done. Only fitted the spring the wrong way round but haven't as yet fitted the escutcheon or the handle so should be able to resolve and get it fitted when i grow another hand.

Lá Fhéile Pádraig sona duit!”