swing spring, front/back, lubrication

Sidd

Just replacing the rear spring on a Spitfire MKIV. Original has a marking  FRONT on one leg  of one spring clip, the replacement has no markings at all. The workshop manual suggests there is a front and back to the spring but I'm at a loss to see any difference.Help please. The workshop manual also suggests the application of graphite grease - any suggestions as to brands of grease suitable for the job.

There is no difference on the new spring, fit it either way round (I have never understood the front/back thing on the originals either, I can't see a difference)

No idea on grease, I just use my normal tub of wheel bearing grease or a smear of copper grease. If I bother at all. 

there was some rumour the front back was put on for the factory, as these were mainly semi skilled operators the front back marking stoped some bright spark asking 'well which way round does it go' is didnt matter but it solved the question

no idea if this is fact or fiction,

had there been any angle similar to the castor then the lean of the spring could have been handed but these are not.

greasing springs is not a generally good idea,  it attracts road dirt and this grinds away the  nylon pontefract buttons and also eats the leaves at their contact points,  you often n find a greased spring has a lot of wear , but a dry rusty one is fine apart from its appearance   just some thoughts  

Pete

Thanks for the replies, had the spring apart before I noticed any mention of front and back so answers are a great relief. Found Penrite make a graphite grease but no need now - Thanks.

Grahame

Some would argue that it depends on the securing clamps and nuts -  if the nuts go to the rear it causes less corrosion as they're more sheltered from road dirt etc. After forty-odd years it hardly matters. I recently bound the GT6 spring in Denso plumbers grease-impregnated tape, wrapped well round and secured with stainless ties; this apparently also strengthens the spring. I keep it well lubricated with liberal coverings of Waxoyl. You can get leather gaiters which go on over the top of everything and used to be supplied on sports cars, to keep grease in and dirt out, but they're expensive whereas the tape is much cheaper and can be quite smart, as shown on this non-Triumph spring getting the same treatment. 

post-151-0-37648100-1445596265_thumb.jpg