Wheel Bearing - Spitfire 1500

I made the school boy error of not making a note of which way round the wheel bearing go in šŸ˜©šŸ˜©

you have an inner bit with the bearings on and an outer bit which fits into the hub - does the outer go in first or does feb inner go in first ?

From the schematic Iā€™ve seen it looks like inner first and then held in place with the outer which is what I have done and everything seems to fit back on one (inc the hub retaining nut).

But Iā€™m having trouble getting the brake calliper on so wondering if the wheel bearings are wrong and could be causing a problem with fitting the Type 14. I thought the job would be soooo straightforward šŸ§šŸ§

it has to beĀ  Ā  nutĀ  >--<{ felt ,uprightĀ  Ā outer ring drifted into the hub followed by a nicely greased inner raceĀ  do not fill the hub cavity , pointless and holds the heatĀ 

the cup fits recess outboard and felt runs between cup and stub axle faceĀ 

The bearings are different sizes so can only fit in one side.

From bare hub - drift the relevant bearing race in, bigger one to outside and smaller to inside. They drift tight to metal and must fit flush. Outer (bigger) bearing just pushes in and is held by the D washer and castellated nut. The smaller bearing also drops in, plenty of grease round both on fitting and the inner is held in by the metal rim of the felt washer. In mine, below, the bearings are just sitting in place, held in by cable ties, waiting for grease and the felt washer. Just get a rubber glove, take a handful of grease and roll it round the bearings until they're packed full round the rollers, as Pete says, none inside the hub. Some of the modern felt washers are much too large and hard to fit; if you can, get an original which presses straight in. If your brake caliper is not fitting, the felt washer may be holding the hub off the stub axle; instructions are to fit without the felt washer, torque it up, and note how many turns it takes to remove the nut again. Then insert the felt washer, and replace the nut by the same number of turns. It may be stiff, but it'll settle into place.

DSCF4982.jpg.2483d90a36ae0f50945642d4fed5f43a.jpgĀ DSCF4983.jpg.fa845c498375b5d439fe59be991e9520.jpg

pic7.jpg.587ddbf69fa9dbfbd86db328f0fd1ab3.jpg

Ā 

55 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

bigger one to outside and smaller to inside.

hey Colin Thars back to frontĀ  Ā the bigger is inner the small is outerĀ Ā 

you know thatĀ  Ā too much guinessĀ  Ā ha !

its good we all get it wrong at times ive just sent out 3 emails with the wrong account numbers for our clubs bank doh !!!

Pete

8 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

hey Colin Thars back to frontĀ  Ā the bigger is inner the small is outerĀ Ā 

Oops.... early morning, only 4th coffee... apologies to Pettifordo but at least they can't be fitted back to front as the smaller one will keep falling out and the big one will need a large hammer...

Thanks @Pete LewisĀ and @Colin Lindsay

Going to have a fun time tomorrow taking them out and putting them back - at least I only did one side !

I hope it makes the calliper fit without catching the disc.

I bought some stainless steel dust shields to make the brakes look ā€œniceā€ - they are the same shape as the old ones, but these donā€™t seem to fit on the callipers I have - I got exchange ones - could it be that different designs need different dust shields ?

I thought this part would be straightforward šŸ˜¢šŸ˜¢šŸ˜¢šŸ˜¢

15 minutes ago, johny said:

manual

@johnyYes - RTFM would have been best ! I did try with the ones I have but none of them seemed to cover it šŸ§

I know what to do now (at least for the bearing) - hopefully with them correct the calliper with fall into placeĀ 

38 minutes ago, Pettifordo said:

Thanks @Pete LewisĀ and @Colin Lindsay

Going to have a fun time tomorrow taking them out and putting them back - at least I only did one side !

I hope it makes the calliper fit without catching the disc.

I bought some stainless steel dust shields to make the brakes look ā€œniceā€ - they are the same shape as the old ones, but these donā€™t seem to fit on the callipers I have - I got exchange ones - could it be that different designs need different dust shields ?

I thought this part would be straightforward šŸ˜¢šŸ˜¢šŸ˜¢šŸ˜¢

Depends on who you bought them from, some are 'laser cut' but not necessarily accurate. Mine fitted more or less okay on the 13/60 but required a little bit of fettling. The versions I bought for the 1200 didn't fit at all.

22 minutes ago, Pettifordo said:

@johnyYes - RTFM would have been best ! I did try with the ones I have but none of them seemed to cover it šŸ§

I know what to do now (at least for the bearing) - hopefully with them correct the calliper with fall into placeĀ 

yes unfortunately the Spit 1500 manual doesnt seem to be available free online like the other models but many bits are the same so they can help with a lot of problems...

2 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Depends on who you bought them from

I got them from Rimmer Bros - they match the old ones but perhaps the callipers I have are a bit different from the originals - they are a bit different from each other (both Type 14).

Thatā€™s the least of my problems - Iā€™m sure some fettling will sort it out.