Fitting replacement aluminium windscreen capping

Graham Ness

I have decided to replace the aged aluminium windscreen capping on my Mk3 Spitfire.  I've drilled out the old pop rivets and removed the old capping, which was also securely fixed in place by silicone sealant.  On lining up the new capping, I see the rivet holes between the capping and the windscreen frame don't line up.  Is this usual?  Do I simply drill new holes in the windscreen frame and proceed?  Someone must have already asked this question somewhere on the forum, but I can't find it.

The capping must have been replaced at some time on the past - Triumph wouldn't have used silicone sealant to fit the capping, but the frame only bears a single set of holes to mount the capping.   I just want to check before proceeding to drill additional holes in the windscreen frame. 

Thanks, Graham

I know it would have been sealed with mastic to make it water-tight, but as to the rivets I'm wondering if there are different versions for different models?

It seems however the repro versions aren't perfect:

https://www.triumphexp.com/forum/spitfire-and-gt6-forum.8/windshield-capping-trim-new-vs.1697625/

Thanks to Colin for the link to the TriumphExperience site regarding repro windscreen capping.. an interesting thread there.

But as Pete first suggested, and as I had pretty much concluded, the solution seems to be to use the holes as defined in the new capping and carefully drill new holes in the windscreen frame.

Thanks all.