Starter motor wiring

Paul Amey

I'm building my Vitesse up basically from a box of bits mechanically. I've fitted a new wiring loom and upgraded to a Powerlite pre engaged starter motor. So, I am thinking the brown wire on the loom needs the terminal changing from a spade fitment to a ring terminal so that it can join the battery fed cable on the stud. Then the small white/red cable connects to the small terminal . But, I also have a black earth cable with a ring terminal on it. There is no obvious place on the starter motor to put this., Do I just earth it some where that is convenient, Any ideas?

I can say with complete confidence that I don't know what it is.

But let's suppose it's got continuity back to the battery earth (or prove it with a multimeter). Then it must be an earth for something. So, hazarding a guess, some possibilities might be

earth for control box (if you are retaining this)

voltage stabiliser (if VS is on back of speedo then I think that has a 'eye' earth commoned to it)

wiper motor

starter soleniod base (if you still have this given you've gone pre-engaged.)

I'm probably well wide of the mark and I'd be interested ot know what is finally correct.

Its the earth for the old starter solenoid which was fixed to the bulkhead with self tapping screws that couldnt be relied apon to give a reliable earth path for the operation of the coil. It obviously connects to other earth points so not needed but if you can find somewhere to fix it all the better...

17 hours ago, chrishawley said:

I can say with complete confidence that I don't know what it is.

But let's suppose it's got continuity back to the battery earth (or prove it with a multimeter). Then it must be an earth for something. So, hazarding a guess, some possibilities might be

earth for control box (if you are retaining this)

voltage stabiliser (if VS is on back of speedo then I think that has a 'eye' earth commoned to it)

wiper motor

starter soleniod base (if you still have this given you've gone pre-engaged.)

I'm probably well wide of the mark and I'd be interested ot know what is finally correct.

Yes thanks for your thoughts. I will earth it somewhere .  It's black with a non insulted terminal and looks like a few other earths. But I will check first.