Spitfire Bonnet Wiring Fixings

Neil Clark

I would suggest that hat you make up a sort of 'press' with two pieces of dowel or tube side by side to push out the two elements evenly before you mix. Make sure that you clean the end of the cartridge fully as any glue remaining may mix at the end of the cart and seal it up. You have a short working time. Download the instructions off the 3M site.

5 hours ago, Badwolf said:

I would suggest that hat you make up a sort of 'press' with two pieces of dowel or tube side by side to push out the two elements evenly before you mix. Make sure that you clean the end of the cartridge fully as any glue remaining may mix at the end of the cart and seal it up. You have a short working time. Download the instructions off the 3M site.

This sounds like the old Araldite dual tube system from my 1960's youth.  I'll have to see what the tubes look like and go from there.  My Dad used to plan what he was doing very carefully, put on gloves (woollen in those days!), lay out out a piece of card and make enough to do that task.  But I'll make sure I have lots of rubber gloves to hand.

The cartridge is just like the araldite system. If you are only using a small amount you are right to mix on a board. Using the mixing nozzles wastes adhesive and you can't reuse the nozzle.

You may pick up a few ideas from my experiences with adhesives here...

https://forum.tssc.org.uk/topic/2623-on-to-the-next-bit-nose-to-tail-1972-spitfire-mkiv-restoration-upgrades/page/35/

..pages 35-41 and 42 & 49. Hope it helps a little.