Help needed in tracking down old courier article

thescrapman

I am trying to find a Courier article I followed many years ago to get the mainshaft in a 3-rail gearbox repaired.

It involved grinding tip a fraction and opening out input shaft and fitting a better bearing.

Had all the dimensions and a suggested bearing listed.

Have followed loads of links to articles in Courier Archive (found looking in actual magazine much faster!) but it has eluded me.

Colin

does the online article menu work ??

I tried a similar with a caged needle race  didnt work as the cage blocked the oil holes in the base of the tooth root 

lasted a 2000miles and it gave up again   

i have mainshaft that was bored out and new slug fitted  this was loose and was the cause of needing a needle cage to recover the intut gear bore 

I feel   the only lasting action is to use a 18mm spigot mainshaft  and modified input gear to suit for long term fixing 

has anyone sleeved a worn 0.5" spigot and upped to 18mm ????? as an idea 

Pete 

yes i would agree thats why i tried a caged needle set but making a lube hole and aligning it with the oil holes in the gear teeth root is not really possible 

the loose slug spigot wore the input bore to make the cage a nice fit 

ended up with a   18mm  set from Mike papworth ...job done 

bodges  need more thought   pete

Pete

Hmmm looks like Mr Black there just installed the bearing without worrying about any lube implications. Its true the lube hole on many gearboxes comes out at the mouth of the input shaft bearing and possibly will be unaffected by the shaft being bored to a larger size but the fact that the new bearings rollers are now encased rather than exposed as in a caged bearing I feel could really stop oil getting in....

it was the cage blocking the oil feed   that caused the death of my reclaimation even end feed was resticted by the cage ends 

i had ideas of dremmel a hole in the case but that would have wrecked a few needles  they were not removable 

if you can /have nade a oil hole     thats good 

But surely the original set up is also an open cage bearing and that gets an oil supply? I can see a bearing with built in outer race will probably suffer from lack of oil so how about this:

tip machined to accept 12 x 15 inner race sleeve (cut to correct length). then fit 13mm long 15 x 20 open cage needle roller which runs in 20 x 24 outer race sleeve (cut to correct length and reduce OD (22mm?) to suit bore machined in input shaft)...