Floppy Main Beam Switch

Pettifordo

The main beam switch on my 1980 Spitfire 1500 has gone “floppy” and main beam does engage.

I’m in the middle of restoring and last week got all the indicators working and I’m sure it was ok then.

Anyone experienced this ? Any advice about how to fix it ?

The indicators and horn still work ok.

Had the same problem @Pettifordo the plastic has cracked and no, you can’t fix. New ones are very expensive and old ones will probably fail…but there is a solution. The indicator stalks for mid 80s minis are the same exactly the same. The only thing you have to do is bend the arm slightly as it’s too close to the steering wheel. You can buy new for less than £30

2 hours ago, Pettifordo said:

Do I have the take the steering column off to fix it ?

No just remove the switch cowling the fixing screws are on the underside in recessd holes   easy 

you will have to route the harness to join the batch of bullet connectors under the dash

it probably run thro a metal channel/conduit 

Pete

New one fitted - I had to remove the steering wheel and swap the windscreen wipers over.

The wiring on the new mini one was different to the original (same shaped plug but missing one of the pins) BUT when plugged in everything functioned - so I have kept the one that came on the mini one F7CA23E8-36D2-487D-87F9-BA346C6F1B99.thumb.jpeg.fd4fccef44d1f38508f1c26bff831416.jpeg

Anyway bent the stalk a bit.

Thanks for the tip @Pete Lewis

I wonder why it worked with different wiring ?!?!?