Picture size

John Bonnett

This is a pic hosted via photobucket.

I have just taken one out of my library on photobucket and clicked on the IMG link, it automaticlly copies it, the link, and then I just paste the link on this message...  trouble is I can't check to see if it works until I post the ...err... post... :(

Here goes

GT6update3_zpse8f0681d.jpg

EDIT Yippee, worked !

• Like 1

Just trying to update my profile with a picture.

Tried to load using IMG and wont accept it... also tried a direct load but it says the pic is too big.... it can only load a 50kb file !!!!

WHAT !!! I could take a pic that size using a jam jar .....

I am NOT reducing sizes of pics that I have to store on Photobucket, or anywhere else for that matter,as duplicates so how can I do this?

Don't have this problem with ANY OTHER FORUM, this is beginning to frustrate me along with all the other "quirks" this site seems to have such as the odd category setup... as posted elsewhere

Just trying to update my profile with a picture.

Tried to load using IMG and wont accept it... also tried a direct load but it says the pic is too big.... it can only load a 50kb file !!!!

WHAT !!! I could take a pic that size using a jam jar .....

I am NOT reducing sizes of pics that I have to store on Photobucket, or anywhere else for that matter,as duplicates so how can I do this?

Don't have this problem with ANY OTHER FORUM, this is beginning to frustrate me along with all the other "quirks" this site seems to have such as the odd category setup... as posted elsewhere

Hi PTR200,

I did it my way on my Iphone.

I sent the pic for my profile pic as a mail to my on address.When sending you will be asked which size to choose.Ichoosed the " small " one,secured the pic from my mail in to my Iphone and uploaded from there into my profile.Bingo! Complicated?

good night

Hans

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi! I have a question about the limit for picture size. Will it remain to be max 50 kb per picture (500 kb total per member if I understand correct) or is there any plan to change this? I think 50 kb is ridiculous, it is just way too small, and the “work arounds” to use links etc is too complicated. I usually manage to reduce picture size to about 200-300 kb, but I find it almost impossible to make a picture smaller than 50 kb.

I have also noticed that we have very little activity here on this forum, compared to other Triumph clubs and forums. Usually there is more activity during weekends, but even during weekends I sometimes find that there has only been one single topic added to this forum during the last 24 hours. And when I look at other Triumph forums, there can be one new topic every hour, and hundreds of new replies within the last 24 hours. Clearly this forum still suffers from being down for so long, and this 500 kb limit for pictures does not make it easier to get former members back.

A new topic is always so much more interesting when members also add a picture, and often a picture is the only way to describe a technical problem that we want do discuss. Please increase the max limit for pictures! Given the lack of activity here on this forum I see no risk of “system overload”, but it might help to increase the number of new topics and posts from an alarmingly low level to a “normal healthy level”.

• Like 1

Just a reminder.

Yes, this board uses the same respected and reliable software as the TR site, which is obvious when you compare them because they look identical too.

Strange, when otherwise they keep eac hother at arms length.

But that other semi-Triumph site, Sideways, also uses the same software, does NOT look the same (no surprises there when you consider its origins) AND, quote from Sideways, " You can upload up to Unlimited of files (Max. single file size: 2GB)"

Sideways has no club behind it into which members pay significant membership fees, no secretariat of paid officials, no Directorate of Management, and when it was threatened with closure was up and running on a different platform, on different software (as at present) with all the archive in place, in only two weeks.

What is it with the TSSC that makes it so constipated in its attitude to the Board and the digital age?

John

Roger , has a point. Despite numerous attempts, I have struggled to load pics easily, so cant be bothered. We need to rebuild the Forum and keep posting, eventually I am sure it will recover to the level it was at before. the lack of heritage seems to be part of the reason behind the lack of  current postings. 

If I could easily load pics from my phone, it would be great. I have a number of threads I could start but without easy pic loading it would be fairly dull

• 4 weeks later...

There is no limit to the number or size of pictures you can post in your "Gallery" - the link is at the top of the page.

You don't have to shrink them, although if you don't have high speed broadband you might want to to reduce the upload time !

Once posted in your gallery, linking them into your postings is very easy on a PC, but I haven't yet cracked if for a tablet as there is no "right click" on a tablet. 

1.  Right click on the image in the gallery and there will be a popup with four size options (thumbnail, small, medium, large) and "direct link to this image file".

2.  Hover over the "direct link to this image file" and right click. 

3.  On the dropdown menu, select "Copy shortcut" - you've now got the URL of the image stored in your paste buffer.

4.  Return to your posting, and at the point where you want to insert the image, click the "image" button at the top of the text entry window (11th icon along on the 2nd row)

5.  When the popup box appears, paste the shortcut copied at step 3 into the URL box.

6.  Click OK, and the image will appear.

If it is too big, try the same trick with the "small", "medium" or "large" versions available when you right click on the image in the gallery.

If you want to use the "small", "medium" and "large" versions, then left click on one of them and do the "right click, copy shortcut" stuff in the next window.

You can work with your gallery open in one tab, and the main forum open in another, so it is easy to toggle between the two.

On an Android tablet, the "right click" is achieved by pressing and holding on the screen, and what would have appeared for a right click appears.

gallery_210_41_42409.jpg

To embed the image, manually enter the IMG tags. Open square bracket IMG close square bracket before the image URL, and open square bracket /IMG close square bracket at the end of the image URL.

This was posted from my android.

Just a little point..... I understand the arguement about bandwidth, however, the fact you have more or less no limit in the gallery which you can then link directly to in a post, makes the bandwidth arguement rather invalid - all the data is (presumably) stored in the same database on the same server, so it takes exactly the same amount of total bandwidth and storage space regardless of whether you post a pic in a post or via the gallery.

Personally I hate the whole 3rd party route for a couple of reasons.

1. It's a bloomin' faff compared to uploading direct to a post.

2. My picture archive is on my drives at home and I know where most stuff is. I just share certain things online. I don't want to be opening additional accounts as I'm unlikely to want to share a pic of a corroded pipe on my main flickr account (for example!)

3. Using the example above, although the forum is fairly public, I may wish to try to restrict pictues to the forum, particularly so they remain 'in context'. Using a 3rd party means they will probably be findable by anyone in the world as they would HAVE to be set to 'public' or they won't show up on the forum. How many of us growl when we see an "Attachement Unavailable" post in a Facebook group because someone has locked their account to friends only yet decided to share without changing the audience?

4. I'm sure many of us quickly get tired of those forums that encourage 3rd party photo hosting due to the sheer number of "Image Unavailable" thumbnails in posts even just 6 months old let alone from a couple of years ago, probably because the poster posted it 'temporarily' or they just used the 3rd party for a while and the account was a free one which expires after lack of use after X number of months or the poster changed to a.n.other 3rd party and deleted the previous account and so on.

OK, that was four!! :lol:

Please could the forum owners/mods look in to it? The fact that the gallery seems unlimited but posts are just doesn't add up in terms of bandwidth/storage as I've explained.

Merry Christmas!!! :D :D

• Like 1