Reverse gear selection

Puglet1

Hi. I am in the process of replacing the gearshift remote selector shaft bushes. Whilst doing so I noticed something odd about the reverse bulk plate. It is only retained by x1 set screw which passes through the plate into an odd looking nut. Is this correct or should the set screws fix directly into the plate? I also noticed the plate isn’t flat, should the recess be facing the gear lever as shown in the photos? Finally, what type/ what size screw should be fitted?

FFAAB40D-C08C-446E-A536-593202DA8BD0.jpeg

A9CE9DE3-7A70-4437-9286-2A3EB970A782.jpeg

8A13F01C-DF15-4D24-9ACE-99B6D8B8E62E.jpeg

yes that looks like its a bodge and needs to be corrected. Are the threads in the plate holes stripped because as shown in the free to download workshop manual the countersunk head screws should fix into it from the outside with no nuts needed. Not sure about the plate's recess as cant make it out in the manual but I would think it should be as it is so that the gearlever pin can slide in it as you push down to select reverse....  

Hi johny. That has clarified a few things for me. Yes, I think the threads are stripped. I guess I could try tapping the holes to a 6mm thread after checking the head size of a 6mm countersunk screw. Having a problem finding the workshop manual, any clues?

Many thanks. Pete 

34 minutes ago, johny said:

A selection of manuals below. There might not be one for your exact model but many components are shared so the info will be in there somewhere👍 

Triumph Car Service manuals - Vitessesteve

Thanks johny. That’s brilliant. I’m having trouble opening the files at the moment so will try again later.

cant find any decent pic of the stop plate but my view from a design point of view would be the adjustable stop bolt should strike the raised platform on the plate and as yoy select

gear more side /end float is available  

im sure some early plates were flat and people would rotate them to give a new wear point 

so if it was me i would turnthat plate round   so the small hump faces the stop bolt 

with the gear stick held over to the stop adjust to give a small clearance  0.00 to 0.05"

Pete

Thanks to All for your help.

It seems like the plate maybe case hardened? Tried to tap a thread in it but couldn’t even scratch the surface. Decided to clamp the plate into position, insert x2 machine screws, cut screw length approx 1mm below the surface of the plate, then reached for the mig welder. Job done!