Blue Gel fuel

Puglet1

On 03/04/2023 at 18:26, johny said:

Doesnt matter what people think the manual is your friend:

image.png.2cc297fe94f39b1131273151e2e89209.png

Hi Johny, I think the drawing is telling me that the PO had set the bottom plate valve and spring incorrectly. Not sure if this would account for the continuing loss of power but will drive it again before moving onto the carbs.

Many thanks. 
Pete.

I believe the alloy rocker cover originally came from Rimmers. I have removed it and it is possible to blow and suck air through the vent hole. I have attached photos because I’m not sure what the original should look like. 

2E8DC4E4-2C3C-44A0-9B2C-8D832C01CF61.jpeg

B0ACACCF-0027-42EA-9BC8-0A84B54594C0.jpeg

the cap on the alloy covers only has the small vent hole it is really only there to allow a fully sealed block to breathe so changes in atmospheric pressure 

does not create any pressure when parked up and make oil leaks    

so its not a main  breather just a  small metered vent   easily overcome by the PCV  

well something like that .

the original steel RC has a simple flap vent valve in its filler cap  does a similar job  seals when running opens when static or thereabouts 

Pete

On 03/04/2023 at 12:09, Pete Lewis said:

the pcv should only lift when crank case pressure is detected  the manifold vacuum is used to remove the pressure till its less then the valve closes the manifold off till next time and so on as a continuous operation  of open and closures if its holed or jammed  it will suck the crankcase all the time and that keeps your filler cap sucked in place 

till you stop the engine 

its a cheap fix

Pete

Does this mean with the hose disconnected from the rocker cover there should be no suction from the manifold via the pcv?

45 minutes ago, johny said:

I think it would be the other way. If the hose is disconnected the pcv will open fully as it tries to maintain a slight vacuum but cant...

Thanks johny. 
the reason I ask is after I changed the position of the pcv parts- to what I think is “ as per workshop manual “ the vacuum force to remove the oil filler cap from the rocker box is much reduced- but I can still feel manifold depression through the pcv hose when it is disconnected from the rocker cover.

54 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

believe the spring inside modulates the vacuum so there is always a light vacuum when running 

im sure its primary operation is all written down somewhere       just have to find it 

Pete

Thank you Pete. It seems such a simple thing but without previous knowledge or any comparison of its function I am struggling to understand if it’s ok or not.

Pete and johny. 
Thank you for your comments and support 👍
Today I removed the fuel pump. I could not believe how much crud was in it. 
I cleaned it, and replaced the hose going from the pump to the carbs. 
I removed the carbs, cleaned them, checked the float heights and upon removing the float valve I found the largest piece of rubber in the float chamber cut off valve. I have refitted, balanced and adjusted the carbs and been for a drive. Guess what?……. It’s perfect 😁. Cam home and removed the oil filler cap to find previous work on the pcv has also worked. Happy Days! 
Once again…. Many thanks for everyones help! 
Best regards. Pete.

0B0B2EE7-6322-4A60-9099-FE8DFB3B95D4.jpeg

A6A3A1CD-2F40-4D93-A348-1508C47D11B4.jpeg

E322DA34-6848-4564-8D20-69BEF486C149.jpeg

rubber slivers  you have been well and truly  caught 

these breed like rabbits happens when the old hoses are disturbed  and refit slices a bit off when you insert the metal pipes 

hi grade stuff like gates barricade  does work well and is harder than the fake stuff sold by many

its a bit like the more you meddle the more you can make  Ha!

pete 

• Like 1