Blue Gel fuel

Puglet1

I am going to fit Gates hoses to the Vitesse fuel system. When I removed the fuel tank bung there were small traces of a blue gel like substance on the inner head of the bolt. Any ideas on what this might be?

I intend to swill the tank and blow out the fuel pipes but was wondering if this could be a potential cause of the engine losing power when going up hill or trying to accelerate hard? Once the new hose has been fitted throughout I will take a look at the carbs. Any thoughts ?

Pete

sounds like simple blue silicon type  sealer i have a few tubes of ford  and says contains isocyanates  very blue stuff works well

if the pump is sucking air you will get power loss under demand 

the  short hose on top of the tank is the normal culprit as its hidden in the boot 

does it run ok on the flat  ie accelerate well  etc

degraded hose does make the dreaded rubber slivers  these float about in the fuel lines and jam up the float needle valve 

caused by stuffing metal pipes into fake nasty hose 

i wouldnt get too involved with the carbs til you have proved the supply  pipework 

let us know and we can devise a plan 

when its carbs  agood and well presented source of clues is Mechanical Tech Articles — Buckeye Triumphs

whilst this is aimed at TRs the basics apply to most of our small chassis cars and well worth a read 

Pete

Edited by Pete Lewis

When I resurrected my GT6 it kept stalling, After a long search for the culprit I found a strange pink sludge in the fuel line, presumably the remains of 20 years decaying fuel.  It moved about, as sludge does and would block the line, the engine died, the sludge subsided and of I'd go again. . I got rid of it by dynorording the lines with strimmer nylon cord.  After that no more stalling and acceleration much improved. It was rebuilding of the carbs led me to "Hello! What's this pink stuff in the reservoirs?!!" There was very little residue in the tank and it needed not much in the way of cleaning. On a GT6 this is easy, you can take off the sensor and eyeball the inside of the tank, probably more difficult on a Vitesse.

Doug

49 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

disavantage is its part way up the tank and if around 1/2 full you will get an eyeful of petrol

pete

When I replaced the sender on my 13/60 last year I made sure the tank was well drained, even less than 1/2 would give the boot a good wash . . .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Puglet1 said:

I am going to fit Gates hoses to the Vitesse fuel system. When I removed the fuel tank bung there were small traces of a blue gel like substance on the inner head of the bolt. Any ideas on what this might be?

I intend to swill the tank and blow out the fuel pipes but was wondering if this could be a potential cause of the engine losing power when going up hill or trying to accelerate hard? Once the new hose has been fitted throughout I will take a look at the carbs. Any thoughts ?

Pete

An inline filter is a good idea and will give an indication of how much junk is coming through the fuel system. Otherwise checking the strainer in the top of the mechanical fuel pump can might do the same...

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Chris A said:

When I replaced the sender on my 13/60 last year I made sure the tank was well drained, even less than 1/2 would give the boot a good wash . . .

That's what's worrying me about my refurbished tank; I'm not 100% sure it's got a totally fuel-tight deal round the sender. I suppose there's only one way to find out... :)

Just now, johny said:

An inline filter is a good idea and will give an indication of how much junk is coming through the fuel system. Otherwise checking the strainer in the top of the mechanical fuel pump can might do the same...

Cheap and easy to fit into the bargain. I use one of those cheapo plastic transparent ones just before the pump and change it when the plastic gets opaque.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Colin Lindsay said:

That's what's worrying me about my refurbished tank; I'm not 100% sure it's got a totally fuel-tight deal round the sender. I suppose there's only one way to find out... :)

'Light the blue touch paper and stand well back' 🔥

on the filter idea do take care  some have a diameter variety hose fit  and you can end up with a restriction 

like small plastic spout in a larger hose  if you get the drift 

and if hose clips are done up by  a gorilla you crush the plastic fittings  and more restrictions appear 

there are washable  solid brass and glass filters  like club shop and others 

just some thoughts 

Pete

37 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

on the filter idea do take care  some have a diameter variety hose fit  and you can end up with a restriction 

like small plastic spout in a larger hose  if you get the drift 

That is true, can't remember if I cut the small bit off or there wasn't one or i fitted it as is, either way I've never had a problem of fuel starvation.

39 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

there are washable  solid brass and glass filters  like club shop and others 

I've thought about these for future use. PLUS they give extra bling in the engine bay 😁

Actually based on the photos I'd say the actual hole the fuel's going through is about the same size on both filters.

I've used the disposable plastic type for years and never had an issue with the design of the filter causing fuel flow issues, even at 130kph on the French Autoroutes.

• Like 1

When I replaced my fuel pipe rubber, (there's a small length in the rear wheel arch) I discovered the pipe out my tank is 1/4" the remainder onwards 5/16" I immediately though "Replace the pipe out the tank!" A brief attempt at turning the connection said "Your gonna mend the pipe and tank to destruction!" 

So, it's never been a problem and now I try not to think about it. :(

Doug

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

the club glass one is getting a bit pricey at £19 but its a wash it for life 

With my luck the first time I dismantle it for cleaning I'll drop the glass tube on the floor and break it. 😬

Just out of interest can you open the glass type without having to remove the filter from the petrol pipes?

• Like 1

I’ve used the plastic dual sized nozzle for years cheap and throw away but I use the one with a right angled outlet as it fits so neatly in the vertical rubber pipe coming up from the chassis and the horizontal pump inlet pipe making it tidy and easily checked for cleanliness 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

sounds like simple blue silicon type  sealer i have a few tubes of ford  and says contains isocyanates  very blue stuff works well

if the pump is sucking air you will get power loss under demand 

the  short hose on top of the tank is the normal culprit as its hidden in the boot 

does it run ok on the flat  ie accelerate well  etc

degraded hose does make the dreaded rubber slivers  these float about in the fuel lines and jam up the float needle valve 

caused by stuffing metal pipes into fake nasty hose 

i wouldnt get too involved with the carbs til you have proved the supply  pipework 

let us know and we can devise a plan 

when its carbs  agood and well presented source of clues is Mechanical Tech Articles — Buckeye Triumphs

whilst this is aimed at TRs the basics apply to most of our small chassis cars and well worth a read 

Pete

Have started to remove the hoses in the boot and underneath the floor, some had gone rock hard and cracked. The car doesn’t accelerate well on the flat, a similar symptom to going up hill. It has no power, sounds like it’s being starved of fuel and cuts out. Stop for approximately 5 minutes and it’ll start again. I will focus on replacing the hoses over the next few days. Thanks for your help.

Pete

8 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

When I resurrected my GT6 it kept stalling, After a long search for the culprit I found a strange pink sludge in the fuel line, presumably the remains of 20 years decaying fuel.  It moved about, as sludge does and would block the line, the engine died, the sludge subsided and of I'd go again. . I got rid of it by dynorording the lines with strimmer nylon cord.  After that no more stalling and acceleration much improved. It was rebuilding of the carbs led me to "Hello! What's this pink stuff in the reservoirs?!!" There was very little residue in the tank and it needed not much in the way of cleaning. On a GT6 this is easy, you can take off the sensor and eyeball the inside of the tank, probably more difficult on a Vitesse.

Doug

Hi Doug. That’s a brilliant suggestion, I will dynorod the steel pipes as suggested 👍

6 hours ago, johny said:

Hi johny. I will do both. Thank you!