MK3 GT6 won’t come out of gear when stationary

Welsh_7

Hi,

whilst my gearbox is out of the car to change the rear engine oil seal I wondered if I could solve a small but nagging issue that’s been happening for years. 

Occasionally, when manoeuvring, once I’ve come to a stop in 1st or reverse it won’t come out out of gear back to neutral. The only remedy is to switch the engine off move into neutral and the restart. 

in all other ways the gearbox, 3rail with Dtype overdrive, works fine. 

would anybody be able to explain what might be happening and how to fix please? 

cheers

Gareth

undoubtably  this is clutch drag 

apart from the state of hydraulics  and the ability to bleed ( always make certain the bleed nipple is above the feed pipe on the slave cyl.

there are many wear points that dont help

wear on the m cyl /pedal push rod clevis holes 

thin throw out bearing  many are 15mm should be 19mm thick 

solve this by adding a washer as a spacer under the spherical post 

wear on the throwout fork groove and the arm pins  

you can reposition the anti rotation groove pin or dimple to run on a new place 

wear on the clevis pin holes can drill out over size or weld a washer in place to recentre the holes 

rucked up mats under the pedal is a simple one 

lots of small areas that reduce clutch operation 

and dont discount a incorrect bore dia master cyl.

Pete

some throwouts have a dimple to stop it spinning some have aroll pin ,easy to make a new dimple or drill and fit a split pin 

to rework a lever used drilled out old and welded in clevis pins cut to length the cure for a thin bearing is sit a washer under the spherical post  ie onto the gearbox case face 

when the post is pulled out of its hole (its a light fit) 

but hopefully bleeding will solve most of your problems   try pushing the slave back in as far as it will go to reduce volume in the slave 

clutch release 002.JPG

clutch release 005.JPG

clutch release 006.JPG

• 3 months later...

An update you won't be surprised to hear, the clutch was contaminated due to an oil leak into the bell housing. Two new seals, engine and gearbox just in case, and a new clutch and 300 miles or so later all is still good. Thank again fo your advice. Gareth