Spitfire mk3 starting issue

Sandy Gibson

I’m having a starting issue and I’m not sure how to identify the exact problem.

When I go to start the engine, sometimes it spins and starts as normal but other times the starter engages but can barely manage a couple of chugs turning the engine. The Bendix gear is new and always engages.

The battery is good and all external connections seem to be sound.

I suspect the starter motor may be faulty but not sure how to test it.  I could do a bench test but I think it would probably only act up under load.

I am reluctant to go for a new motor and discover the fault lies elsewhere and having looked a a couple of YouTube videos, I don’t think I’m up for trying a repair myself

are you loosing any coolant  ??  bore filled with coolant will make it struggle

but simplest option is a failed field coil on the starter makes it erratic and mimic a flat battery 

unless you can mount and appliy a stalling load to the starter  you wont prove anything on a bench running light 

Pete

• Thanks 1

Thanks Pete.   I’m sure I don’t have any coolant leak into the bores (or I’ve got bigger problems than I thought!)

It is the intermittent nature of the fault that was throwing me but it does exactly mimic a flat battery so your suggestion sounds good.

Sandy

Depending what you mean exactly, reluctant cranking can be due to odd things.  My Spitfire had an occasional issue with only getting half a rev of cranking before stopping.  It turned out to be a sticky centrifugal advance in the disi. When stuck fully advanced, the ignition kicked back hard enough to stop the starter motor dead.