Front Suspension Vitesse Mk2.

I am going to change the front suspension bushes as they are the original rubber ones and look worn out.

I intend using the car for road only.

Is there any point in fitting poly bushes?

Also going to fit new front shock absorbers. I am happy with the ride height as it is but the ride is quite soft .

Any recommendations on which manufacturer to fit?

Is there any point in fitting height adjustable units?

Thank you.

Edited by Puglet1
Adjust title

• Puglet1 changed the title to Front Suspension Vitesse Mk2.

I replaced my shocks with GAZ from the club shop, For me I think height adjustable are a bridge too far for ordinary road use. They do have ride adjustment and mine are set in the middle. :) But they are SO much better than what I had before, no more involuntary teeth chatter! 

Oddly the front came with rubber bushes and the rear with poly. The poly were a bugger to get in, I had to take the vice off the bench and drag it around the car to squeeze them in. 

And they squeaked for 6 months until settled in. 

Poly last longer, more expensive, depends if you're planning to live a long time.  :lol:

Doug

Edited by dougbgt6

Are you really sure the bushes are shot as they can look poor on the outside but are fine inside. Is there play in them? As youve probably read on here theres a risk that replacement rubber components nowadays wont last anywhere as long as the originals...

9 minutes ago, johny said:

Are you really sure the bushes are shot as they can look poor on the outside but are fine inside. Is there play in them? As youve probably read on here theres a risk that replacement rubber components nowadays wont last anywhere as long as the originals...

9 minutes ago, johny said:

Hi johny.

That’s a really good point. I’ll get the pry bar out and double check.👍

17 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

I replaced my shocks with GAZ from the club shop, For me I think height adjustable are a bridge too far for ordinary road use. They do have ride adjustment and mine are set in the middle. :) But they are SO much better than what I had before, no more involuntary teeth chatter! 

Oddly the front came with rubber bushes and the rear with poly. The poly were a bugger to get in, I had to take the vice off the bench and drag it around the car to squeeze them in. 

And they squeaked for 6 months until settled in. 

Poly last longer, more expensive, depends if you're planning to live a long time.  :lol:

Doug

Thanks Doug. I think you’re right about height adjustment. I shall try retaining my original springs and go for ride adjustment only.

On 22/04/2023 at 18:18, johny said:

Are you really sure the bushes are shot as they can look poor on the outside but are fine inside.

I understand the original bushes fitted are often ok after 50 odd years. Wish I knew this when I replaced mine as a matter of course, as they looked shot, though weren't an issue on MOT's

• Like 1