different carbs MK1 vitess

Martin OD

Hi All. I always knew my carbs needed a bit of TLC but they ran until just recently. I got some grit in my fuel system and the engine did not run so I took the carbs apart. I then realised that they were 2 different carbs (which I suspected) and they have different parts. Both are 150s. The adjustment set up on the bottom is different. See photos. the right hand one which I think is the wrong one has an aluminium body and the other one is brass body and  is missing item 55 o ring and 54 washer internally.Doc5.docxDoc5.docx I presume this is an error. I definitely  did not misplace them on disassembly. Does anyone have any ideas or advice? IMG_20230522_205610410.thumb.jpg.c2eb6afeed20c45c869c45ac164c1ffd.jpg

Yes the left is the original set up although how fuel didnt pour out because of the missing seals is a surprise. The other does have an unusual set up but it might still function perfectly. Perhaps someone turned up a replacement themselves when the original was damaged - body rounded off, thread stripped?

It has always been a thirsty car!. Now I know why! The washer is an aluminium washer. It is a shim or can I get any old washer? The butterfly screws are different as well and so I suspect it did come from a different unit.

Edited by Martin OD

When you look in the workshop manual it seems to show both types of jet holders although of course no mention of whether theyre brass or aluminium. Either way Im sure the internals should be the same and both the washer and o ring are needed however as the jet height (mixture) is manually adjustable the exact washer shouldnt be critical...

the make up of the jet holder is of little consequence  

the upper alloy washer is made so it self seals when nipped up

the jet and the holder 0 rings are important to solve leakage 

the height of the jet and the position of the air pistons needle is all thet controlls the mixture any variation in the holders makes no effect 

Pete

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

the make up of the jet holder is of little consequence  

the upper alloy washer is made so it self seals when nipped up

the jet and the holder 0 rings are important to solve leakage 

the height of the jet and the position of the air pistons needle is all thet controlls the mixture any variation in the holders makes no effect 

Pete

Good, looks like alloy washers available on ebay if genuine items not available although of course most are metric...

Martin

There is an article by by Chris Witor (IIRC) that describes the usage and development of the Stromberg 150 carb on the T2000 range and I think he said that the aluminium bushing for the jet is an early arrangement, replaced by brass.

The carbs in your photo have the early choke arrangement, so I am thinking your car just be a Mk1.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/05/2023 at 09:56, 68vitesse said:

When I first got my Vitesse the carbs had different weights on the pistons, perhaps something to check?.

Regards

Paul 

Hi. As I have 2 different carbs should they still have the same weights. The diaphragm holder, butterfly and jet holders are all different to each other as is the height of the jets. I feel as though I almost have to treat the engine as 2, 3 cylinder engines but bolted together and tune each carb separately.

the damper weights must be the same   the needles must be pairs of the same ,  springs or no springs depending on the spec  must all be the same

the jet holder and jet height should be the same      providing the jets are both the save diameter )both should be 0.9"    

if the heights are different  suspect wrong jet diameter

Pete