J type Overdrive in Vitesse.

Puglet1

I have a oil leak from the J type overdrive fitted to my Vitesse and it seems to work perfectly.

I removed the filter plate to replace the gasket and found a “raw pin” in the position shown below. The pin is roughly 12.5x 5mm.

I don’t have any history on the overdrive fitment other than it was done by the previous owner who at the time told me it was a D type unit.

Does anyone have any idea where it should go?

IMG_5370.thumb.jpeg.4f6919e7cb22e122b0245e58b25f1ed7.jpeg

Many thanks.

Pete.

IMG_5369.jpeg

IMG_5371.jpeg

51 minutes ago, Puglet1 said:

Hi Colin. Thank you for the parts list- I am struggling to see a roll pin listed so at the moment the mystery continues.

Apologies, had to rush earlier! Hadn't time to study that diagram but Pete' right, I couldn't see one in the O/D so it has probably come form elsewhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

that looks like an escaped roll pin to stop the layshaft rotating  fits in the rear of the shaft and known to have escaped before 

Pete

Hi Pete. 
I think you are right. Does this mean I have to remove the gearbox to refit a new pin?

Pete

Puglet

Canley's gearbox diagram shows the roll pin. Item 39 Pt No. DS1908 (Layshaft dowel)

https://www.canleyclassics.com/?catalogue=triumph-gt6-mki/ii&diagram=triumph-gt6-mki/ii-gearbox-mainshaft

I recently watched a strip and re-assembly of a J type overdrive. Definitely no roll pins.

Looks as though your overdrive oil filter has done its job.

Ian

Edited by Ian Foster
spelling
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Puglet1 said:

Does this mean I have to remove the gearbox to refit a new pin

basically no just the rear conversion case and OD  can be done in car bit of a faf getting some height but ive done this J type is advantage as refit is easier with no splines to align

then you find you have one fitted and this is just a clumsy spare 

i wouldnt worry to much 

Pete

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ian Foster said:

Puglet

Canley's gearbox diagram shows the roll pin. Item 39 Pt No. DS1908 (Layshaft dowel)

https://www.canleyclassics.com/?catalogue=triumph-gt6-mki/ii&diagram=triumph-gt6-mki/ii-gearbox-mainshaft

I recently watched a strip and re-assembly of a J type overdrive. Defiantly no roll pins.

Looks as though your overdrive oil filter has done its job.

Ian

Thanks Ian. That’s a great help. Also good to know that the filter has done its job.

Pete.