Play in steering

cliff.b

Thats certainly what the manual says and of course in the event of an accident this is what sets the force of impact on the steering wheel needed to collapse the column (assuming that its not fully shortened already). The locknut should then be done up as otherwise the grub screw could loosen leaving the steering wheel free to slide back and forth while driving.

However I wonder if this is really where the play youve found is coming from as the steering drive is transmitted by the flat plate not the grub screw so is that also loose?

I had about an inch play at the steering wheel rim but steered as normal when that was taken up. Wasn't like this a few days ago when I last drove her. Stopped and could see lower steering column not moving until flack taken up. Found locknut on safety clamp loose so tightened & play reduced but still there. At home tightened the grub screw and locknut and play now gone. Do you think this might be hiding another issue then?

4 minutes ago, johny said:

Well the clamp plate (the grub screw goes into this) bolts must be tightened first with the grub screw completely slackened. Check the steering play and it should be minimal then tighten the grubscrew and finally lock it with the nut....

Ok, yes, that makes sense. The bolts were right but so was the grub screw at that point do I will check again. Incidentally, I have just tested and the steering feels more precise then before so although I wasn't aware of an issue it may have been a bit loose for some time.

Anyway, thanks for the help 👍

the figures are in the wsm

the clamp plate 1/4unf  6-8lbft    the 7/16" grub screw is 18-20 lbft

this has to be tight enough to slide in a crash and not loose enough to give you any float 

so tighten  the   2 clamp plate bolts then torqure the grub screw and lock it with the big nut 

if you have no torquremeter then a good hand tight will work its not that  special 

the outer column tube runs in a sprung clamp below the dash so in a smash column and tube all collapse

equally if you need more knee room a right good tug on the wheel and the tube will raise  the whole assy as its all supposed to move under load 

Pete

I don't have any "Allen head" bits that I can use with my torque wrench so used a ring spanner to give a bit of leverage on a regular Allen key. Tried not to over do it but presume if too tight it is the "collapsing in an accident" bit that might be compromised?

2 minutes ago, johny said:

yes its the 1960s equivalent of an airbag which of course, equally, you dont want too solid or too flat! 

Indeed. Perhaps having doubts about the collapsibility of my steering column will make me drive more carefully and therefore a "safety feature" lol

There is a theory that more danger does increase driver carefulness and I believe experiments have been carried out to test this by removing roads signs and traffic lights. I certainly treat my Vitesse with a lot of respect when driving it after having put the first one on its roof...

1 hour ago, johny said:

There is a theory that more danger does increase driver carefulness and I believe experiments have been carried out to test this by removing roads signs and traffic lights. I certainly treat my Vitesse with a lot of respect when driving it after having put the first one on its roof...

Back in 1978 I put my first Spitfire, a Mk3, nose down into a roadside ditch and apparently went flying a considerable distance out of the open roof and ended up in a ploughed field. I say apparently because I don't remember it myself but there were witnesses.

I'm in no hurry to repeat this.

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, johny said:

I remember when "passive restraints" were first introduced after the seat belt requirement had been introduced several years before.

One of the systems was the "motorized mouse" that pulled the shoulder belt forward along the A pillar either moving it out of the way when you exited or going back when you entered.

The lap belt still had to be clamped manually.

This was all compliant with the rules but the number of broken legs from "submarining" under the front console shot up drastically.

For years the argument was an airbag was too difficult/expensive until Chrysler did it with with the first minivan then all of  sudden it seemed to work...

I remember telling people off for not putting on a lap belt and some of them argued if it was so important why didn't it work automatically?!

We recently did a tour in a camper and it was a bit rudimentary. I had gotten very used to the automatic distance cruise control and other things our day-to-day car has. I definitely paid more attention.