GT6 mk 3, comm KE14394 O

Aidsaunders

My GT6 appears to have a Vitesse column headlight switch on it, it has two wires, brown/red and solid brown that aren’t on the GT6 wiring diagram. On the GT6 diagram, the switch has five connections and on the Vitesse diagram it has six but only five are used. Am I better off getting a new GT6 switch or using this one with some advice? 

12 minutes ago, Aidsaunders said:

My GT6 appears to have a Vitesse column headlight switch on it, it has two wires, brown/red and solid brown that aren’t on the GT6 wiring diagram. On the GT6 diagram, the switch has five connections and on the Vitesse diagram it has six but only five are used. Am I better off getting a new GT6 switch or using this one with some advice? 

IMG_3435.jpeg

I think a Vitesse or earlier GT6 switch would have two blue/white wires coming from it so 5 wires in total while yours doesnt appear to have that. This makes it suitable to use in your car so even though theres some wire colour mismatches everything should work correctly. The switch was probably replaced at some stage and thats the way they come but at least no modifications were needed to the rest of the cars wiring...  

Brown/red to the master light switch, brown to fused switched power (probably purple), blue/white and red/white to the matching colour headlamp wires. Johny is right about the flash function.

The linked Gt6 mk3 diagram shows what I’d expect but doesn’t agree with the colours. See this Spit mk3 one for a comparison which does match your switch colours https://gitlab.com/jovisg/SpitfireMk3WiringDiagram

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Aidsaunders said:

Ooer! Two out of three of the black/earth wires going to the front of the bonnet have no continuity back to earth! 

Hmm. So I removed the tape from the end of the loom to separate the blue/white wire and effect a repair on it and discovered why those two black wires didn’t go down to earth! I’m assuming that it’s original. Why would they do this? 

IMG_3438.jpeg

yes it depends which direction youre checking in? Theres no earthing done in the bonnet as you cant rely on it getting back to the chassis through the hinges so it all comes back through a black wire. The bullet connectors have lasted surprisingly well over 50 odd years but I think if I was restoring a car from scratch I would use a more modern type of connection - either that or cover them in grease....