Where to paint and where not to paint

This question could possibly be a no brainer but I just wanted to check as I am new to refurbs, etc.

I have fully stripped my GT6 front suspension, vertical link, stub axle, trunnion, arms, etc. I noted when dismantling that areas of metal to metal contact (Stub axle in vertical link and Hub on stub axle) were bare, possibly due to the grease in those areas. Also bush housings weren't treated either. 

I'm currently striping the existing degraded paint to metal as I'm planning to use the POR 15 system which includes the acid etching solution.

Am I correct in my observations and that internal bush housings and metal to metal areas should remain unpainted and therefore need masking prior to any metal prep? 

Any advice would be much appreciated.

You are correct. Paint will cause havoc in those areas. Tolerances are much less than a single coat of paint! Be careful about getting too much paint under nut/bolt head areas too (otherwise when tightened it will appear tight, but the paint can fret and it ends up loose)

With teh front suspension upright, I would be tempted to reassemble all the bolt together bits (not the hubs or callipers) and paint as a unit.

How are you cleaning it all? electrolysis works really well and causes no damage to good metal, and requires very little effort. (youtube/google is your friend)

Thanks Clive. It's always good to get confirmation. I'm actually mechanically stripping (wire wheel, brush, etc) as I have paint over poor paint over patches of rust so I thought going back to metal was best. Not thought of electrolysis, it would certainly get into those hard to reach areas.

echo Clive on mating faces

Ha   I can see the bath is going to be out of bounds for a while !!!   

never paint safety critical faces , even the  hub wheel faces , look at any modern the paint very little underside mechanicals .

paint is slippery stuff and compresses easy  not wanted on solid face fixings 

Pete