Oil on rear engine plate

rulloyd

Hello.  I’m in the process of fitting O/D to my GT6.  The engine has probably done around 600 miles only since professional rebuild.

when I took the gear box out I noticed oil on the engine plate following the line of the bottom half of the bell housing as can be seen in the pic.  on the other side it runs as high as the starter motor.  The bell housing has a small amount of residue at the bottom, pic 2.

Could this be a problem?  Any advice appreciated. 

Many thanks

Rich

image.thumb.jpg.3ec039048e6a886960560bfb3deffcdd.jpg

IMG_2461.jpeg

It looks like oil from the gearbox rather than the crank rear seal - can you smell which type of oil it is? As youre installing OD I take it the gearbox will have new seals and gaskets so that should resolve any problem...

• Thanks 1

Hi Jonny.  Thank you, I can’t smell it but it probably because a poor sense of smell, so I can’t tell.  There is some residue around the main shaft so I’ll probably cross my fingers that you’re right.  🤞

Check the rocker cover seal too; the oil will run out of the rear due to the backwards angle of the engine and follow the line of the block all the way down. I've found many times that just because it drips off the lowest point, that isn't where the leak is. 

• Thanks 1