Wheel bearing or something else?

Alright Guys, now that my fuel/choke/overflow carb problems SEEM to be resolved, I need to turn my attention to another problem.  Since I bought the car last year (only 500 or so miles ago), there has been a noise from the rear.  At first, I wondered if it was a wheel bearing.  Some friends said that my description of the sound suggested a wheel bearing.  But I have my doubts.  In the past, on other cars, I had wheel bearings fail.  The sound was a constant drone-like, humming noise that got louder as you drove faster.  I used to describe it sounding like a plane coming in low over your car!   
But this noise on my little Vitesse is different.  It is not constant.  It is a “rubbing” type sound that happens over and over again as the wheel revolves.  If I go faster, the sound is more frequent.  If I go slower, it is less frequent.  It is on the passenger side rear wheel area.  If I turn left, shifting the weight of the car off that wheel, it gets louder.  If I turn right, putting weight ON that wheel, it goes away completely.  If I am going straight, it may be audible depending on whether my last bend on the road was to the left or to right.  Does that description suggest a wheel bearing to you Guys?  What might it be?

First you could feel the temperature of the drum and wheel bearing housing on each side after a good run. Then get some grease into it to see if that makes any difference. Do one side then the other with test runs inbetween👍

Jeez Johny, that seems like such a basic, obvious thing to do.  Why the hell didn't I think of that myself?  If the weather cooperates, I will do that tomorrow.   I feel so stupid for not eliminating that simple little test myself! 

the fact it varies dependant on the load does sound like wheel bearing ,thats a common way to identify which side,

as its rear have look at the shoes  has the shoe been making contact with the drum centre ???

remind me this isa MK1 ??   not rotaflex ??

back plate can be incorrectly positioned on a MK1 shaft 

Pete

10 minutes ago, micmak said:

Jeez Johny, that seems like such a basic, obvious thing to do.  Why the hell didn't I think of that myself?  If the weather cooperates, I will do that tomorrow.   I feel so stupid for not eliminating that simple little test myself! 

Dont forget you cant grease moderns wheel bearings and it would probably be difficult to even feel their temperature😁

5 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

the fact it varies dependant on the load does sound like wheel bearing ,thats a common way to identify which side,

as its rear have look at the shoes  has the shoe been making contact with the drum centre ???

remind me this isa MK1 ??   not rotaflex ??

back plate can be incorrectly positioned on a MK1 shaft 

Pete

Yes Pete, it is a non-rotoflex Mk 1, 1967.   Lightly tapping on the brakes or leaning on them slightly makes no difference to the noise.  So I dismissed the brakes as being the cause.  The backplate is something that I never considered.  Should I notice a wear mark on it or something else?

I read somewhere (maybe on this forum -- not sure) about a guy with a Spitfire or a GT6.  His description of the noise was similar to mine.  He thought he had a wheel bearing problem.  He bought new bearings and went out to replace them.  He jacked up the car only to see that the lower control arm was not as tight as it needed to be.  So, he tightened it and the noise went away!  Might the noise that I described be something similar?

Certainly worth a look underneath, a good inspection, check tightness of all bolts and feel for play in UJs and all suspension bushes with a lever. This is also to be recommended as a routine maintenance check👍

agree   all components and pivots /shafts  need a good pry bar with wheels/axles at running heights  no hanging down .

on bearings its often noticed when spun by hand but there are two bearings in the trunion block 

the main single row ball bearing and the needle rollers that steady the trunion 

the ball race is a loose fit in the hsg.  but very tight on the drive shaft 

this can take some work to shift it . there is an adaptor to work with the hub puller to help 

it can be done with a big vice and a big  birmingham screwdriver , on refit use the hub /shaft nut to reposition 

the trunion bearing and its back plate ,there is no location /positioning  shoulder on the shaft 

Pete

Diagnosing this with certainty, is a little beyond my capabilities.  So, a mechanic friend will take a look at it next week.  If it is the wheel bearings, where is the best place to buy new ones? 

.....Mick.....

Canley classics and james paddock always have a good reputation 

take car where you send the car use a mickey mouse puller and they will most likely bend the hub

there is a dedicated puller available  

if they have a press take the whole assy off and press shaft out .

Pete

1 hour ago, micmak said:

If it is the wheel bearings, where is the best place to buy new ones? 

As postage cost is usually a set amount up to certain weight its best to prepare a list of components likely to be needed in the near future and get them all at the same time...

27 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

Canley classics and james paddock always have a good reputation 

take car where you send the car use a mickey mouse puller and they will most likely bend the hub

there is a dedicated puller available  

if they have a press take the whole assy off and press shaft out .

Pete

Thanks Pete.  The guy who will work on the car is a mechanic, and he has a TR6 and a Spitfire for his wife.  He is a Triumph guy.  He told me that he has the puller needed for removing the bearing.  I’m comfortable with him working on the car.

The annoying part is he will take a look at the car first.  If it is the bearings, I will have to order them online, wait for delivery,  and then arrange another night for him to replace them.  I don’t want to buy them in advance in case they are not the cause of the noise at all. 

……Mick…..

12 minutes ago, johny said:

As postage cost is usually a set amount up to certain weight its best to prepare a list of components likely to be needed in the near future and get them all at the same time...

Thanks Johny.  Luckily, I don’t need anything else at this stage.    Hopefully it will stay what way!🏎️

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/02/2024 at 17:39, micmak said:

Diagnosing this with certainty, is a little beyond my capabilities.  So, a mechanic friend will take a look at it next week.  If it is the wheel bearings, where is the best place to buy new ones? 

.....Mick.....

If you're doing nothing towards the end of April (it's a Saturday but can't remember the exact date, will post later) the Northern Ireland TSSC are descending on my house for the annual Garage Day of lubricating trunnions, gearboxes and diffs, greasing handbrake cables and greasing bearings etc plus an underneath inspection on the lift. Only 75 minutes up the A1 from Dublin. Plenty of owners to give an opinion, and if you're lucky one of them might even be correct...

On 06/03/2024 at 15:09, Colin Lindsay said:

If you're doing nothing towards the end of April (it's a Saturday but can't remember the exact date, will post later) the Northern Ireland TSSC are descending on my house for the annual Garage Day of lubricating trunnions, gearboxes and diffs, greasing handbrake cables and greasing bearings etc plus an underneath inspection on the lift. Only 75 minutes up the A1 from Dublin. Plenty of owners to give an opinion, and if you're lucky one of them might even be correct...

Thanks Colin.  I am not sure what I will be doing beyond a few days ahead.  I have a lot going on right now, so I will not commit until much closer to the event.  It sounds interesting, though.  Thanks for the invite/suggestion.

.....Mick.....