Churchill special tool - S.325 Hub End Float Gauge

JohnKR

hi all, 

just re-joined the Club after a 40 year break! I'm reliving my youth having just bought a Mk2 Vitesse (had a Mk1 40 years ago, so making progress!). 

I'm just rebuilding the back end hubs and want to have a go at the workshop manual method of setting up the bearing end float, which of course, needs the Churchill special tool S.325. From looking at the manual pictures, it appears to be a three part tool? 

Has anyone got one of these that they would be willing to loan out? I'll happily pay a deposit, and of course postage costs to/fro. Drop me a message if you can help out. 

Thanks

The Churchill 3 part tool is very rare. I've never even seen one at an autojumble. I think you'll be very lucky to even find a Triumph 'garage' with one. There used to be a guy - Richard Briscoe? who manufactured the spacers and shims, who had the actual tool and offered a service setting endfloat correctly but not sure if he still does.

There is an alternative Diy method explained on Canley Classics website. Check out the their Technical Archive - Rear End Noises.

52 minutes ago, trigolf said:

The Churchill 3 part tool is very rare. I've never even seen one at an autojumble. I think you'll be very lucky to even find a Triumph 'garage' with one. There used to be a guy - Richard Briscoe? who manufactured the spacers and shims, who had the actual tool and offered a service setting endfloat correctly but not sure if he still does.

There is an alternative Diy method explained on Canley Classics website. Check out the their Technical Archive - Rear End Noises.

I used the “Canley” method on my Vitesse mk2 .

Paul 

On 15/03/2024 at 11:52, trigolf said:

Hi, thanks for the reply. Richard Briscoe is a good lead - I'm fairly sure he's still active, I'll give him a call. 

I did read through the Canley method and it's the next contender if I can't get hold of the correct tool.