Stiff steering - Mk3 Spit

Not sure why I picked this as my first newbie job, but after several hours spannering hammering and swearing, I managed to get to one of the trunnions.

Packed solid with black grease, which might explain the stiffness.  Cleaned it out, inspected the vertical link (looks good), and shoved it all back with a new grease nipple & big dose of ep90.

Other side will have to wait as I noticed a few things I wasn’t prepared for (mostly bushes), plus looks like the inner hubs need some tlc as I think there’s a rubber or felt seal missing.

Will likely go trunnionless if I rebuild all this properly, but how do you remove / install the stub axle?  Seems a solid bugger.

It was the ‘don’t really know what I’m doing, so get everything in bits on the workbench’ method!  Apart from the shock, didn’t touch that in the end.

Might have missed ,but why do you need a stub axle ??

getting old ones out of the upright best get some heat on the upright then without a press chase it all round the garage they will be very tight on the tapered fit 

Pete

17 minutes ago, DaveH said:

Oh, not many, 2k spirited miles per year.

Im not definitely doing it, just researching.  My mind often wanders off down deep rabbit holes! 🤪

I have the monopoly on thinking out loud here, Dave. Most of the time I don't realise how deep the rabbit hole is until I realise what I've posted... :)

if is failed after around 50 years  there is not much wrong with the design.

any "must have" ideas should be sent to room 101 saves a fortune and all the headaches that

go with these must have (not) ideas 

if all you do is limited miles and drive with the smile  Ha !

Pete