Headlights relay and LED bulbs

I have got the conversion to Halogen headlight on my Dolomite 1500HL and I understand that I should put in a relay as part of the conversion? If I use LED bulbs instead (drawing less power) would I still need the relay? If I need to use relay, where should it go? Could any answers be at 'numpty level 3' please (not good with electrics) Thanks.  

some headlamps will not be legal with LED bulbs    need to do some homework on this subject .

relays can go anywhere the harness will allow .

you use relays to improve the voltage drop of the old wiring and reduce the current at the switches.

led use much lower current and dont need relays as such , but you do need to be clear on fitting to 

your current lenses is ok , this was discussed a while back ,  both bulb types will fit but led 

can add complications and MOT problems later 

Pete

The right type of LED headlight bulb should meet MoT requirements, including correct dip pattern for RHD. I've fitted headlights from this helpful company to my TR6:

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collections/headlight-led-bulbs

Relays aren't necessary since LEDs use less current and are less voltage sensitive than traditional tungsten or halogen bulbs.

Nigel

While you probably don't need a relay with LED headlights it's not going to hurt to fit one.

As for where to fit it I don't know the Dolly 1500 wire diagram but I'd bet there's a 4-way bullet connector just behind the front panel where a single feed wire splits into two wires, one to the left headlight the other to the right.  Given where the battery sits I'd bet you can find a convienient bolt near it to mount a relay+inline fuse then you can:

1. Unplug the current, single 'input' wire from the 4-way connector.
  2. Connect that to the input side of the low current/switching side of the relay (normally pin 86) + a new earth wire from the output side of the low current/switching side of the relay (normally pin 85) to a convienient earth point.  The light switch now powers the relay switching circuit.
  3. Connect a new wire from the battery +ve terminal, via the inline fuse, to the input side of the high current/swiched side of the relay (normally pin 30) + a new wire from the output side of the high current/switched side of the relay (normally pin 87) to the newly vacated hole in the 4-way bullet connector.  You now have a direct battery->fuse->relay->headlight circuit.

Edited by Mjit
  • Like 1