Ethanol

2 hours ago, Chris A said:

Is that folk music for old folk ?

If it is, it suits me... you mean the rhythm of false teeth snapping and joints creaking in time?

It's definitely old, even older than many of the posters here, then. Seriously though, it's usually traditional and much preferable to a lot of the 'modern' stuff currently about.

18 hours ago, Chris A said:

National news here reported on the moves to ban tobacco. Is the next move to ban booze, after all it has the same negative 'qualities'? 🥃🚬

Not sure alcohol is classed as addictive in the same way as nicotine/opioids/etc but rather some people are susceptible to psychological addiction or forming a dependency on consuming it.  The difference being that stopping consuming things like alcohol/caffeen/etc generally make you an irritable dick for a few days/weeks while stopping taking a properly addictive compound causes physical pain.

There's a strong case for limiting alcohol sales, I mean who's buying a 2.5l bottle of White Lightening as a sipping drink?  But an outright ban's highly unlikely - if for no other reason than countries that have introduced alcohol prohibitions in the past have almost all seen increases in alcohol consumption and also increases in alcohol related medical costs (as black market hooch doesn't tend to uphold quite the same safety standards as legal stuff).

Folk music is great. Much of the best is in Scotland Ireland and Wales with Cornish stuff also surprisingly good. Of course, much of it went to th US and has returned.

I also like our old stuff from the time of John Downland. Also Peter Warlock at certain times of year.

I don't usually involve myself in discussing any addictive substances, having had many relatives come to a early end with alcohol, and drugs, even prescription drugs.. Prohibition did not work in the US and never will. Too much contraband available combined with too much desire for substances.

I have attended AA and AL anon meetings in order to support relatives. My only addictions have been motor bikes, old cars and work. These can also be harmful if they become obsessions.

Attending these really opened my eyes as some poor souls are really nice people until they capitulate. If you have an illness that can be cured with anti biotics etc, you can survive forever without them. Addiction cannot be cured without practising 'Positive reinforcement'. This means attending meetings, meditation or finding a harmless addiction to replace the bad one.

It has taken me 30 years to understand alcoholics. They are people without an 'OFF' button in the main. Those of us who can have just one drink (or drink in moderation) are very lucky.

This was not meant to be a criticism or lecture. Just needed to explain my experiences.

With that, I'll go and pour a can of Ethanol and top the car up.

Loads of thread drift once again. Perhaps we need a therapy page. NO! Just go and drive the Triumph.

Edited by Wagger