All mixed up...

So, my 1500 spitfire engined Herald convertible is on the road again after a quiet winter indoors. Everything checked, new ethanol proof flexible pipes everywhere, carbs and pump cleaned, plugs wire wooled and presto - started first time. Went for a spin to feel young again - but scared how BIG moderns have got....  BUT now we have fuel leaking out of the top of the mechanical fuel pump - even with a replacement rubber seals. 

Question - The fuel pump has a screwed outlet and a push on inlet. Is this an amalgam of a 1360 pipes system and a 1500 pump? If so what is the best advice to replace the whole old pump?? ie which one should I buy? I guess I could cut off the screw end from the metal fuel pipe leading from the pump to the HS4s and put in some ethanol proof pipe to join the dots??

David F

That does sound a bit strange as it should be either both screwed (inlet a short piece of metal pipe with rubber connector pushed on it) or neither screwed so just push on connections. I didnt think a hybrid would ever have been available😲

Anyway is the leak coming from the filter cap seal or the bolt/screw that fixes it? Is the thread of the latter ok as these being into alloy can get over tightened and strip...

Thank you folks. Hmm - I think the domed top edge is leaking. Yes the centre bolt looks quite long but I think it was original to the pump. I put in a new fibre washer under the bolt head too. No, the pump is probably a join up of two - fine for years and years but has decided to fail. Smelly petrol garage now...not good. So best I buy a 1500 push on connectors type pump? Not a fortune. Do they come with a spacer if required? All this scary stuff about too much pressure - a regulator between pump and carbs perhaps? suggestions?

Thanks

d

Unfortunately regulators dont help much in the case where a pump develops enough pressure to overcome closed carb float chamber needle valves as at that stage theres no flow so nothing to regulate. Many think it will help but if you imagine a pipeline with a closed end that is pumped up to a certain pressure then putting a valve in the middle of it isnt going to make any difference to the pressure however much you adjust its position!

If your carbs overflow and your valves/floats are all in good condition all you can do is reduce the tension exerted by the spring in the pump which is done by packing the body away from crankcase so its operating arm is moved less distance by the cam....

carb needle valves be they SU of Stroms have amax pressure of around 2.5psi   any more and the valves get 

overloaded and seep fuel ,overfill the chamber and leak out the vents 

there is alot of history behind the pump they fitted to 1500 only 

they added a heat spacer and used a longer cam arm you can use a more std pump if you remove the spacer and use shorter studs ,   many reports on here  about copy pumps sticking out over 5psi 

as Jonny suggests regulate the pumps stroke by adding gasket packers, you may find the plastic spacer on some MG sites , many fit a short arm pump and cut the spring down to reduce output

its all a bit of a mix and match headache 

Pete

Also while youre at it you could disconnect the pipe at the carbs and let it discharge into a container while an assistant operates the starter (with coil disconnected) to see if youre getting a good flow👍

Edited by johny

Paddocks are great. Good chat with a real human who came up with a solution - a new pump and gasket(s). Not expensive ...so hey. I'll keep the old one as a reminder of how things used to be.

Pump should be here tomorrow. Lets hope for a bank holiday of sunshine...ok just cloudy...ok ok just no f'ing rain...