Banned, apparently!

Good evening, I usually browse the forum on my Samsung Galaxy phone and don't get any problems, however I am trying out a new Galaxy A9 tablet and am getting a message saying "Banned, you do not have permission to view this site". We have also recently changed broadband providers, whether that's relevant or not?

Can anyone offer any help or suggestions, please? Thankyou!

Derek. 

P.s. never had problems on my old kindle either. 

Edited by DerekS

Derek,

Have a read of these two threads, it explains it all.

Basically, you have been allocated an IP address by your ISP that has been used in the past for spamming forums, so is blacklisted.

If I can identify what IP address you are using with the new tablet, I'll lift the ban - but all the recent IP addresses  that you have used all show up as clean and not on the banned list.

Good morning Kevin, I have read the articles and switched our router off for a couple of minutes and here we are, up and running! 

I wouldn't have had a clue where to start to be honest...

Many thanks indeed for your help and advice, it is appreciated! 

Derek.

Kevin,

We are, or should be, most grateful to you for your constant vigilance, keeping this site safe from spammers.

Without your expertise, like Derek, I would be lost in Interspace.

Thank you,

John

• Like 1

It`s quite often the case that Re-Booting the Router, or a Device, can "solve" an issue. How such would be affected (or not) using a VPN I have no idea?. Some knowledgeable "bod" will likely know?.

Pete

15 minutes ago, PeteH said:

It`s quite often the case that Re-Booting the Router, or a Device, can "solve" an issue. How such would be affected (or not) using a VPN I have no idea?. Some knowledgeable "bod" will likely know?.

Pete

Pete, I'd agree about the router reboot - that normally allocates a new IP address

However, using a VPN can cause you problems with the TSSC Forum.

Every TOR exit node that comes to light is added to the banned list, as TOR is used by too many spammers.

Likewise, the exit nodes of a of VPNs that have a history of being used by spammers have been added to the banned - primarily this is AVAST VPN exit nodes.

IP addresses associated with Russia, Belarus, China, Indonesia and Vietnam are also added to the banned list as these countries make up the majority of the origin of spam.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KevinR said:

Pete, I'd agree about the router reboot - that normally allocates a new IP address

However, using a VPN can cause you problems with the TSSC Forum.

Every TOR exit node that comes to light is added to the banned list, as TOR is used by too many spammers.

Likewise, the exit nodes of a of VPNs that have a history of being used by spammers have been added to the banned - primarily this is AVAST VPN exit nodes.

IP addresses associated with Russia, Belarus, China, Indonesia and Vietnam are also added to the banned list as these countries make up the majority of the origin of spam.

Interesting, My current Router has a Fixed IP address. I have used VPN`s, mostly to get UK broadcast download when in the USA, BBC for one, don`t like you watching UK stuff, in my case Rugby, from over there. Nord, is allegedly very good for that. I just got a month at a time on an American VPN, back when. I ocasionally "drop in" on US local News chanels, some of whom don`t like it either! Some VPN are said now to be switchable? literally with one click?.

Pete

Banned again! I've just tried to access the forum using my Samsung tablet - which was working fine last night - but here I am banned again. I was persuaded to put McAfee on the device and I'm wondering if this is causing my problems. As before, any help or advice would be appreciated!

Derek.

Ahhh, just found a part of the McAfee, a "VPN" switch on the McAfee, switched it off and we are in... will see if it has cured it! Any comments would still be welcome,  this isn't my domain.

Derek.

8 hours ago, DerekS said:

Ahhh, just found a part of the McAfee, a "VPN" switch on the McAfee, switched it off and we are in... will see if it has cured it! Any comments would still be welcome,  this isn't my domain.

Derek.

Derek,

I can confirm that the use of the McAfee VPN will cause a problem.

Today, the McAfee VPN allocated you an IP address of 139.59.189.220, which is an address provided by DigitalOcean.com.   

The DigitalOcean.com VPN servers are frequently abused to post spam and generally disrupt forums, therefore the entire IP address block associated with DigitalOcean.com has been "banned". 

Therefore, any VPN address that falls in the range 139.59.0.0 to 139.59.255.255 will not be able to access the forum.

11 hours ago, KevinR said:

Derek,

I can confirm that the use of the McAfee VPN will cause a problem.

Today, the McAfee VPN allocated you an IP address of 139.59.189.220, which is an address provided by DigitalOcean.com.   

The DigitalOcean.com VPN servers are frequently abused to post spam and generally disrupt forums, therefore the entire IP address block associated with DigitalOcean.com has been "banned". 

Therefore, any VPN address that falls in the range 139.59.0.0 to 139.59.255.255 will not be able to access the forum.

Curiouser and Curiouser?. I Firefox as my preferd browser, does Mozilla VPN also give issues? Another (potentially, for us) would be Webroot?.

Pete

Kevin, there's one thing all this has reminded me and everyone reading it is the amount of background work and the attention to detail of that work which you are doing for all our benefit.

We can only say a big sincere thankyou !

Derek. 

3 hours ago, PeteH said:

Curiouser and Curiouser?. I Firefox as my preferd browser, does Mozilla VPN also give issues? Another (potentially, for us) would be Webroot?.

Pete

One of the back room features of the Forum software is a log of attempts to create an account.  The Invision software checks the IP address used against several "industry" databases, and if the IP address is reported in that database as being frequently abused, then they are added to the Forum banned list.  

VPNs are notorious for being used for forum spamming, so any VPN exit node has potential to be banned.

TOR exit nodes are orders of magnitude worse for being a source of SPAM registration attempts, so every TOR exit node comes to my attention is added to the banned list, whether or not they have been used to "attack" the forum.

• Like 1