Recommendations for mobile mechanics in West Sussex?

Roger W

Hi 

Looking for any recommendations for a mobile mechanic who could help me with a fuel issue on a 1968 Herald 13/60. Turns over but doesn't fire. No fuel seems to be getting to carburettors (1500cc twin carb engine retro fitted). Not sure if it's a fuel pump issue or something with the carburettors (bowls are dry). Beyond my capabilities now so need some help!😀

Located in West Sussex BN17

Thanks in anticipation 

Roger, 

Before going down that route I would suggest it's worth getting hold of the West Sussex area team, which is not mine.  I know from my social/Classic Le Mans dealings with them they have some very competent people among them who should be able to help. Details in The Courier or the link in the 'Areas' on the home page.

Dick

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If the car has been standing for a period try taking the fuel pipe of the carbs and suck through some petrol and no do not get it in your mouth. This will then give the pump less work to do and once started the pump can carry on.  Let us know if this works

Andrew

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Andrew said:

If the car has been standing for a period try taking the fuel pipe of the carbs and suck through some petrol and no do not get it in your mouth. This will then give the pump less work to do and once started the pump can carry on.  Let us know if this works

Andrew

Andrew, fyi I have now undone fuel hose nr carburettor and cranked engine, but no fuel came through the line so it's quite possible that issue lies with failed fuel pump?

one area which is often the culprit is the short fuel hose out the tank suction pipe hidden up inside the boot out of site 

these go hard with age , the clips are often loose this means the pump only sucks air not fuel and as there is no head of fuel does pong of petrol when you open the boot 

catches so many out when it fuel starvation   ....its well worth a careful look

and cheap to fix  too  

Pete

• Thanks 1

Have now opened top of fuel pump and checked state of gauze filter - some limited dry residue but certainly nothing to stop flow. Next task will be to try to draw fuel through the pump with suction as you recommended and try to check that hose around fuel tank that Pete Lewis mentioned!

On 12/06/2024 at 10:32, Pete Lewis said:

one area which is often the culprit is the short fuel hose out the tank suction pipe hidden up inside the boot out of site 

these go hard with age , the clips are often loose this means the pump only sucks air not fuel and as there is no head of fuel does pong of petrol when you open the boot 

catches so many out when it fuel starvation   ....its well worth a careful look

and cheap to fix  too  

Pete

Pete, guess what I found? Exactly as you described, the hose behind the fuel tank had worked loose and was just hanging there - no chance of petrol getting anywhere near the engine! Not easy, but I have just managed to reconnect it without taking the tank out. Have just turned the engine over but not firing - presumably I need to prime the fuel system first? Any recommendations on the best way to do this?

Thanks 

Roger 

I think probably the easiest way is to blow into the fuel tank. This involves a bit of puff and sealing your mouth over the filler pipe but a little bit of pressure in the tank will push the fuel out over the outlet pipe and to the pump without risking petrol in your mouth...

• Thanks 1

Have you found a prime lever on your pump Roger? Being a later 1500 engine its unlikely there is one but if so then as Pete says because it has much more movement range than operation by the cam it should be more able to pull fuel over from the tank. However you might have to operate it quite rapidly to achieve this and then you'll feel more resistance as fuel comes through until the carbs are full when then the lever will go slack again.... 

As Johny suspected there is no priming lever on the pump, in keeping with the later 1500 engine, so no opportunity to manually prime! Any recommendations on best course of action now would be highly appreciated. I've cranked the engine on several occasions for short periods of c.15/20 seconds and then left for a period and repeated but no sign of sparking yet so assume fuel hasn't benn drawn through yet.

If theres still no progress perhaps something like this would help? It can be used by disconnecting the pipe at the carbs and installing it there the right way round so that fuel should be drawn right the way from the tank through the engine pump into a suitable container... 

image.thumb.png.56fe510c1f5fe49421bd330c40996bee.png

Johny, tank is just under half full. Not had a chance today, but will look again tomorrow and try using a suction pump to draw fuel through the pump towards the carbs!🤞

Thanks for the suggestion above!

Well, that was interesting! Used a suction pump to draw fuel up to the carburettors and got a strong flow, but simultaneously heard a loud dripping sound. Discovered a fast flowing fuel leak on the fuel line under the chasis, about 2ft behind the fuel pump towards the fuel tank. Siphoned off the fuel tank pronto (together with the obligatory mouthful of premium unleaded) and still collecting drips several hrs later!

Pleased in some respects that it's all come to a head as we're now definitely in territory that is way beyond my capabilities so off to find some mechanics who can take this on, and a few other small electrical niggles.

Thanks to all for your input and advice, I've learned loads! A great forum to have access to.

Roger