Preservation of hydraulic seals in storage

I've fitted a number of N.O.S. Clutch and brake components to my classics in the past with no issues, although I have seen people raise comments regarding fitting rubber components that are 40 or 50 years old.

Some of the new Rubber these days is frankly abysmal, a pair of Rear wheel cylinders fitted to my old Sunbeam failed within a couple of years of them being fitted

If you keep the components boxed, out of the sun and in a dry environment I don't see why they shouldn't last ok.

Regards

Gary

• Like 1

You can tell - to a certain extent - by the feel of the rubber. If it feels overly hard, or powders as you rub it between fingers, it's done. It should still have some pliability so not rock hard, but also not so squishy that it will fail to seal or hold. If you've ever used an old windscreen seal and felt how hard it has become over time, compared to the softer feel of the replacement, you soon see the difference. As Gary says good storage is key; there are loads of rubber cleaners and 'treatments' available but none I'd trust to preserve rubber for any length of time. 

I used to use this stuff but it really just puts a shine on the rubber.

23-8_6-4131844780.jpg.6e909a6973363118b2fd0dd0c5238874.jpg

Hi - I had a job a long time ago where I ran a small Hydraulic repair bay - the things I repaired ran on very high pressure hydraulics so o rings and bonded seals were being changed every day - with that in mind, I will back Colin 100% by saying - if the seal is hard to the touch like an old hose pipe or even getting hard they have had it! If you bend the seal a little, look for tiny cracks, check if they have lost their shine again they are no good, the thing is you will know instinctively, if you have any doubts don’t fit it.

As to storage, some people keep seals in jar of Hydraulic fluid to keep them soft, the trouble with that method is - it attracts dirt and rubbish which is a no no and the fluid goes off over time so keep clear of that idea, some say a smear of olive oil or even washing up liquid, PTFE spray or good old WD40  the trouble is cross contamination and any of these liquids on the rubber surface will attract dust and rubbish.

Old school ways of keeping seals alive also included keeping seals in grease proof paper or dusted with talcum powder but that can be a problem too - to be honest I could have been more concise and said - the real answer Is don’t keep them for long or buy them as you need them!

Oh yes - and beware of “old new stock” from auto jumbles etc can be a costly mistake!

Eric

I avoid as much as possible, buying any new repro rubber parts for our cars. In my experience it just doesn't last. Track rod end rubbers lasted 6 months, fitted during restoration, never left the lock-up, literally just fell apart in situ. Vitesse repro fuel tank fiiler neck to body seal, started to crack like crazy paving within 6 months, door check strap rubbers have gone like bubble gum and falling apart within the first year. Gt6 sun visor rubbers, stop light seals all cracking and falling apart. Better off keeping the 50 year old cracked originals, where not safety critical. I won't even start on rubber fuel line. How manufactures get away with producing, worst still, selling such cr*p is beyond me. 

Old subject but the problem is you cant tell the quality by looking at it so even if the suppliers get better quality (and of course more expensive) components the customer has no way of knowing it. I think the only solution is that the suppliers start to offer guarantees ie. 3 year serviceable life or your money back? However that would mean you have to keep receipts and the component needs to be identifiable...

In most towns there is usually a company who deals with hydraulic components all day every day and there are companies like Past Parts in Bury Saint Edmunds who know classic car hydraulics inside out - industrial and aviation hydraulics companies who are on the front line know their stuff, they have always been a help to me, if you have a pattern they will probably get you out of trouble.

I can well understand the frustrations Johny and Markb are talking about, the problem is with hydraulics, a seal can just give way only seconds after a component has been serviced, tested and refitted - the trouble is you are not going anywhere without your cars hydraulics.

Eric

coming from a manufacturer that made its own cylinders ,there's plenty of claims that various snake oil products preserve hydraulic seals when in reality any seal manufacture will not recommend any seal being left in storage for 12 months or more being used , most brake manufactures state at 12 months old  they are designated as scrap !!  fit at own risk !!

mick