Cylinder head number location Mk2 Vitesse

Puglet1

I’m trying to identify if my cylinder head is the original one.

It has an unleaded head fitted by the previous owner- Rimmers I believe.

I’ve seen an image on the internet and it looks like the number should sit on the flat surface between the head studs ( doesn’t say what cylinder).

Can anyone tell me exactly where the stamped number is?

I have attached a photo.

Thank you.

Pete.

IMG_0007.thumb.jpeg.1c192ed710074ea928a8c3888a9c503e.jpeg

Just had another look and struggling to find the number- probably due to my poor eyesight.

There is a raised casting number towards the front of the engine which I think says 307837 - see photo.

When I googled this number it came up as a TR250 head. Does this make sense?

If so, is it a good head or should I be looking for another one?

If I remember correctly, when I adjusted the tappets, the adjustment screw was wound in almost to the top of its thread . Could this be due to a pushrod length difference?

Is the car safe to drive without risking damage to the engine?

What are my next best steps to take?

In the meantime I will continue my search for the stamped number in the daylight.

Here's my Aug 68 Mk2 Vitesse Head Numbers, I've had the car since 1970 and NEVER lifted the head still holding 170psi over 6 cylinders.

I understood that the Vitesse used a TR5 head?

Vitesse Mk2 Cylinder Head Number 309351- towards front of engine.JPG

Mk2 Vitesse Head Number @ Rear of engine.JPG

Edited by Peter Truman
  • Like 1

This from Chris Witor is very helpful even though Ive had to copy it sideways🤔 Ive seen some heads where the stamped number is between the first two studs on the manifolds side. Pete yours does look like its from a TR5 being thicker (measure it?) and with longer pushrods... 

image.png.9b02668555773a8a9bb534973181954f.png

yes that looks like the stamped number - not very clear but not necessary anyway as seems that casting was only used on the TR250. It has the bigger exhaust valves and is essentially the same but would have used the longer pushrods which probably arent easy to find...

4 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

Here's my Aug 68 Mk2 Vitesse Head Numbers, I've had the car since 1970 and NEVER lifted the head still holding 170psi over 6 cylinders.

I understood that the Vitesse used a TR5 head?

Vitesse Mk2 Cylinder Head Number 309351- towards front of engine.JPG

Mk2 Vitesse Head Number @ Rear of engine.JPG

Peter, those are casting numbers.   Only the number stamped intonthe head on the opposite side ( you show the right) is usefulness identifying  the model it came from.

Piglet, maybe that has misled you, but your pic also shows the right hand side.   The relevant number is on the left.

John

• Like 1

Hello all.

I have looked again and still cannot see the id number.

I have also measured the cylinder head thickness but not sure if I’ve done it in the correct place? The measurement is roughly 3.400 inches.

Still struggling to identify the head, any other suggestions?IMG_0014.thumb.jpeg.8ac8166aa4ea12ed177b6daadf89f5f5.jpegIMG_0013.thumb.jpeg.2e13e133d2eecc9693faba7ba3bedf12.jpegIMG_0010.thumb.jpeg.f5545beed7fc92fdb52fd8fb1678bd00.jpeg

the only one on chris's list is 307837 from TR250  but yours resembles 307237  the 2 is a bit unclear and 3.4" is used on a good few others 

unless you need real detail i think take that is is triumph  and    just drive the thing     would that work  ha !

that heads been on for a loooong time    looking at the threads conditions

Pete

• Like 1

Stamped number could well have been removed and it looks like the head thickness has been reduced. Does the engine serial number match what you would expect? Another interesting check would be to confirm whether the pistons are flat or dome top - you should be able to do this through the spark plug holes... 

• Like 1

Hi Pete.

HC 58239HF.

The head was sent to Rimmers several years ago for unleaded conversion by the previous owner so this is the anomaly at the moment.

johny. I will remove a spark plug when I can return the garage again.

3 hours ago, Puglet1 said:

sent to Rimmers several years ago

one wonders if he got his orig head back or some other 

the crap head gasket my local sent back with a complaint had a reply and photo of something completely different

and disclaimer for any problems .....

Pete

• Like 1

Pete. Who knows?

I don’t want to immobilise the car at the moment by removing the cylinder head so I’m thinking about looking for a second hand one that can be overhauled before fitment.

What is the best head to look which can be fettled slightly to give  a little more power?

Wait a minute youve got to be a bit careful here as it comes down to the pistons youve got fitted. If flat you want a head 3.3" deep, part number 517610 (why I suspect with your current 3.4" head you'll be down on compression). However if domed the shallower head would give too high a compression and so you already have the right one...

20 hours ago, JohnD said:

Peter, those are casting numbers.   Only the number stamped intonthe head on the opposite side ( you show the right) is usefulness identifying  the model it came from.

John

Found it John at the front RHS number 517528, had to rub some surface rust off, only lightly stamped into the cast iron, interesting you were half right, whilst not on the LHS the stamping is pointing inwards towards the rocker cover, so easier to read from the LHS. 

Interestingly the official "Leyland Vitesse 2 Lt Mk2 Spare Parts Catalogue" doesn't list the bare head part number, but only the Cylinder Head Assembly with valves, springs etc 517609, & less valves, springs etc 517610 (I assume it has the guides).

• Like 1

back to basics  why do you want to swap the head ???

whats the problem ???

if the heads working fine  you could get a thin skim to raise compression

what the compression test going to tell you ???

dont jump  into the black art of guesswork till you know what you have and what you want or expect !!!

Pete

• Like 1