Vitesse 1600/6 wiring

Restoration nearly complete!  I have One wire which comes out of the main loom under the dash by the main control box and its  Green and Purple?  Can't see it on the Manual or in the Handbook??Help! Also which way do the front overiders fit on ? Does the zig zag edge go on facing the inside or outside? What a pain, the rubber strips each side of overiders kept falling off , so I ended up glueing them in place! Lol 😆 

Edited by martyn wright

There are lists of Lucas Wiring Golour Codes online, most them from North America, so have a look for them.  But I'm sure that purple-on-green is for the indicators, and one like that to the dash will be for the  light for indicators there.

John

Pete!  I wonder why, it took me weeks to get them sorted as I just kept giving up!

As soon as the Flasher Unit arrives and is fitted, there's only the Under Dash, Steering wheel,  front passenger bumper and Front Overiders to be fitted and she is finished!20201031_112219.thumb.jpg.4c600088733e7cb8edf54bfe878abced.jpg20200305_082725.thumb.jpg.c8c59cff8a488eac2c1e6b259a6b4550.jpgIMAG0021.thumb.jpg.bbf3d0ed4671248558ea01a0d07a0dd5.jpg

Well!  The Flasher unit has arrived and it hasn't worked!  Plus the Fuel Gauge isn't working again?  As I know that these Flasher Units can have problems I  did order a second as a backup! Which should arrive tomorrow  🤔  this  could be a earthing problem?

Ive got confused Martyn. The flasher relay is all wired up correctly with green 12v from fuse (ignition on), light green/brown going off to the column switch and    light green/purple to the dash bulb? No earth needed at relay and I would have thought at least one of the main bulbs would be earthed ok to give you some operation.... 

good earths on an old body is a continuous challenge 

you need to earth ......everything ......dont rely on old tap screws and sprire nuts etc. 

the side lamp assy is best fit a defined earth ..belt and braces  approach .

when we had the Vit6  we added a earth bond wire to connect rear lamps .rear tub, baulkhead

bonnet. chassis and all  together ...never any more weak winkers or dull tail lamps 

Pete

Edited by Pete Lewis

Hi Johny!  This car has just been changed from Pos to Neg earth!  I have the same Flasher Unit which was a Neg unit and the Auto Elec turned the pins / wiring around to make it Pos?  I have on my diagram: P = lg/p  L = lg/n and X=g  

I actually have P= lg/p L= g and X=lg/lg/n

I now have a Neg Flasher unit inter58800 but believe that the two wires need changing around lol 😆 

1 hour ago, martyn wright said:

Hi Johny!  This car has just been changed from Pos to Neg earth!  I have the same Flasher Unit which was a Neg unit and the Auto Elec turned the pins / wiring around to make it Pos?  I have on my diagram: P = lg/p  L = lg/n and X=g  

I actually have P= lg/p L= g and X=lg/lg/n

I now have a Neg Flasher unit inter58800 but believe that the two wires need changing around lol 😆 

I think it originally used a positive earth flasher unit which are still available but yes it was probably easier to convert to using a standard one. However now it definitely needs the wires going to terminals L and X (this is B in Triumphs drawing) returning to their original places👍

Posted (edited)

Hi Johny!  The ones that I ordered for a 1600/6 ended up being Pos earth, so  I just changed the wire's around and the green ign light came on and so the flashers started flashing and I cried Ha! Ha!

Thanks for the help!

Edited by martyn wright