Replacing Overdrive Mounting Plate

Martin V

10 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Part 6 of the diagram to rear gearbox bolt as shown below is a good start. This seems to be the standard fitting point for an exhaust hanger on the Herald model. (that bolt isn't tightened fully in, by the way) It's just a right-angled twisted metal strap so that one end sits against the gearbox and the other sits sideways for the exhaust clamp bolt. I've used it on all three of my Heralds, one O/D and the other two not.

IMG_2129.thumb.jpeg.d22aae91711aae16063018be6cc28473.jpeg

Thanks Colin. That’s what I was thinking but can’t see where to attach it to on gearbox. I can of course add an extra clamp anywhere along the pipe purely to attach a bracket.

Those studs/bolts look like I could get any off to add a strap.

26 minutes ago, Martin V said:

I’d looked at the same. The first (5) is the one I’d considered as my twin cans each have a strap already. 
I see Colin’s picture below and that makes sense with fixing to gearbox rigidly which still allows engine /exhaust gearbox to wiggle a bit together as one.

Yes you dont want to stress the exhaust manifold to head or downpipe joints so a fixing to the gearbox helps take the load. The differential one might be more difficult with your non standard system but you probably already have sufficient rear supports... 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, johny said:

Yes you dont want to stress the exhaust manifold to head or downpipe joints so a fixing to the gearbox helps take the load. The differential one might be more difficult with your non standard system but you probably already have sufficient rear supports... 

I’ll look again beneath to see if I can find somewhere I can access on the gearbox

I’ve been under the car twice pondering what could be accessed to give the exhaust (manifold flange especially) extra support.

The two lower nuts/studs on the back of gearbox are either too tight against the opposite overdrive bolts or there isn’t enough stud length to add the thickness of a bracket. I guess the extended stud is part pulled out for it to be up against the overdrive bolt head but that’s for another time as someone left it like that when Motorist had it all out a year ago.

There is the option of hanging a flexible rubber strap from the chassis in that area as there is a chassis bracket with hole which is not in use but this in my view isn’t ideal although I could set this to take the weight and allow some drift.

Looking at my twin pipe Bell set up I think lateral movement at the back of the car is already inherently reduced by the fact each silencer is hung from a strap a good distance apart and as those pipes go into one in front of the diff I’d consider these straps mainly allow for/aft wobble and for a little twists engine and gearbox moves under torque.

What I’m thinking is to add a rigid hanger from the bell housing to one of the two clamps where the two down pipes join junction to the single pipe that runs to the diff area. Bracing here with a rigid bracket I believe will inherently support the full manifold flange and although it’s very forward for a bracket it seems better than none at all. It will alleviate any strain placed by the single length pipe and cans that is currently taken solely by the manifold area.

Sound good?

1 hour ago, Martin V said:

The two lower nuts/studs on the back of gearbox are either too tight against the opposite overdrive bolts or there isn’t enough stud length to add the thickness of a bracket. I guess the extended stud is part pulled out for it to be up against the overdrive bolt head but that’s for another time as someone left it like that when Motorist had it all out a year ago.

On many that I've seen over the years there is one long threaded stud / bar that sits out quite far; no idea why but it's never loose, always well screwed in to the body.

• Thanks 1